Forum home Plants

Hot lips advice

2»

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,912
    Mine is gong strong in chilly Yorkshire.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,629
    WorcesterPark said:
    There's a Salvia Hotlips on the southbank near Waterloo by Thames which I noticed was in flower even in Jan and Feb earlier this year. Possibly helped by being in a sheltered spot close to river. I think it must be the only shrub I know that be in flower for 12 months of the year! 

I know there's a wonderful bank of it, and verbena bon. right outside the Festival Hall, right by the river. They have planted it very successfully with bee plants and have proper, good people looking after it.
  • OmoriOmori The NorthPosts: 826
    Does 'Amethyst Lips' perform as well as 'Hot Lips'?  In terms of long flowering, robustness, etc? I have several 'Hot Lips' which I love but the colour doesn't go in certain schemes I have, whereas purple would be perfect. Also can it be moved now or best left til Spring?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,629
    Is AL a similar shade to Nachtvlinder?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,288
    From personal experience, l find it's not quite so florifulous as "Hot Lips" but it is very striking. If you don't mind plain purple "Nachtvlinder" really flowers well.
    I have Nachtvlinder but not AL, it does look similar from images. My Nachtvlinder doesn't do too well but it could be the location (not enough sun). 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,288
    edited December 2020
    @Fire, l think it is, yes  :)
    @Omori, l would be inclined to leave moving it until Spring unless you have a very sheltered garden.
    Thank you @AnniD Will do.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,989
    Nachtvlinder is a good doer but (for me anyway) it needs lighter colours, or silver foliage, nearby to set it off. It also spreads by suckering, so be careful if you like your plants tidy and contained.
  • Fire said:
    WorcesterPark said:
    There's a Salvia Hotlips on the southbank near Waterloo by Thames which I noticed was in flower even in Jan and Feb earlier this year. Possibly helped by being in a sheltered spot close to river. I think it must be the only shrub I know that be in flower for 12 months of the year! 

I know there's a wonderful bank of it, and verbena bon. right outside the Festival Hall, right by the river. They have planted it very successfully with bee plants and have proper, good people looking after it.
    Hi Fire..yes that's exactly the spot I mean! Prior to COVID I was walking past it most days on my way to work! Hopefully will see it in bloom again soon!