Forum home Plants

Hot lips advice

Hi all, 

I have this hotlips in the garden. It's the first year in the ground after spending its first year potted. It's had a new lease of life following a trim about 2 months ago (to allow me to paint the fence). Do I need to cut this back for winter? Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm a total newbie.

Thank you :-) 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,055
    I would leave it until late Spring personally. They can be a bit tender so if you can leave as much top growth on as possible it offers some protection. 
    Welcome to the forum by the way  :)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,681
    I agree, leave it until spring. It will lose its leaves and there might be some dieback of the top growth, but it protects the lower part. In spring, cut it back to where you can see new growth, or lower if you like.
  • Thank you both @AnniD and @JennyJ

Could I be quite harsh with the cutting back come the spring? 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,055
    You can cut them back quite hard, l tend to be more cautious and probably don't cut mine back hard enough, probably down to around a foot. Some people cut them right back to the ground. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,173
    I cut my back to just above the old wood - to the first green sprouts.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,681
    I do the same as @Fire , or sometimes further if it's been a mild winter and they're growing back from quite high up. You can cut right back close to the ground if you want to.