Forum home Problem solving

Climbers on panel side of fence

Paul165Paul165 Posts: 83
edited November 2020 in Problem solving
This is probably a really silly question but here goes. 

One of our garden fences has the posts on our side.When putting up climber you typically drill in the vine eyes to the fence post and that means thete is enough wood for the vine eye, and the wire is evenly a few centimetres away from the fence.

You then plant a distance away from the fence to ensure adequate rainfall. 

How do you approach this on the reverse side of a
Fence? Drilling in the posts would mean the wire is too far from the fence. The panel is too thin to attach anythjng.  If you put then in sideways you can't tighten the wire when necessary by twisting them occasionally.

Also, do you plant climbers at the bottom of the posts but still the same distance away, meaning they are far from the panel, or by the panels and grow the plant back around the posts? 

Am I missing something really obvious?  As you can see I'd started putting them in sideways here.... I'd rather not use trellis 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    You would just attach to the posts. That's fine  :)
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean about growing the climbers round the posts. They would be planted a suitable distance out from the fence [a foot to 18 inches ] but preferably not where the posts are because of the concrete footings they presumably have. That ensures a moister site.
    The climbers would then be trained in onto the wires.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• My worry was that the posts are very thick and stick out quite a distance from the panels. If I then have the vine eyes pointing outwards the wire is going to be a good 20cm plus away from the panels. Is that not an issue? I'd have thought the plant and wore would need close contact with the fence panels. 

Might be over thinking  this 😂😂
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    No - the more airflow they have, the healthier the plants will be.  You would also just screw them in farther :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,908
    Agree with Fairygirl, the vine eyes on the front of the posts are better for airflow to reduce fungal diseases especially. Climbing plants need some space behind them too just to grow, not all the growth will be at the front, leaves grow all around a stem 😊 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,865
    Same here.  Better airflow and easier training is needed.

Move the vine eyes to the open side of the posts and thread the wire thru in one length across the fence.  Tighten only at either end using proper tensioners which allow for easy adjustment.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks all. Works for me