Forum home Plants

Don't touch your plants

Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,478
Fell down a bit of a rabbit hole tonight.. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/tpj.14183
General gist of the research basically seems to prove that touching your plants stresses them out, causing mutations in the plant cells as a response and causing a reduction in plant growth.
I have always brushed my seedlings with a gentle hand to 'harden' them up for outside life, but in reality I've been stressing them out and setting back their growth?  
What about my house plants I 'pet' as I water them or give them a bit of attention?  They repulse at my touch like a beaten animal?  They send chemical distress signals out to their neighbor plants warning them?  

Does anyone else know about this?
Utah, USA.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521
    I do know that some trees don’t like their crowns to touch other trees.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_shyness

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,047
    I can think of a few rampant specimens that I will be touching up😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • @Blue Onion - they are following the Social Distancing rules - Plants Against Covid :D
  • sarinkasarinka BedsPosts: 242
    B3 said:
    I can think of a few rampant specimens that I will be touching up😉
    I had the same thought... only my worst weed now is probably nettles 
  • josusa47 said:
      If one follows that theory to it's logical conclusion, it ought to be possible to maintain a weed-free garden simply by hurling abuse.
     :D  I have to say it hasn't worked for me so far despite my best efforts - perhaps I need to expand my vocabulary .
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,047
    Aphid fondling doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect on my plants. I wouldn't want them to grow much faster anyway.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,621
    I've been cursing bindweed, thistle & docks for years no result yet, perhaps the noise of the trains on the Northern line near my Allotment made them hard of hearing. 
    AB Still learning

• I remember years ago reading about a huge nursery that found touching the young seedlings made them grow better than not being touched.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,459
    josusa47 said:
      If one follows that theory to it's logical conclusion, it ought to be possible to maintain a weed-free garden simply by hurling abuse.
     :D  I have to say it hasn't worked for me so far despite my best efforts - perhaps I need to expand my vocabulary .
    Then the neighbours might complain.