Forum home Plants

tree for windy coastal site

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,436
    Oh right ... forget Monterey Pines then. 

Thinking 🤔 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CaptainBlackCaptainBlack Morecambe BayPosts: 8
    the tree on the right is the one to be replaced  it doesn't show up on the pic but the scorch happens because we get constant wind down the drive and the small pine by the table also suffers
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 470
    edited November 2020
    I am not sure of the distinction between small tree and large bush here, or if you want an evergreen or something really dense.

My grandparents had a hedge of Myrtle between them and the beach on the North Wales coast, And also Myrtle as a separate bushtree in the garden.

My other suggestions are tamarisk, which is a lovely small tree, and perhaps holly ... which I have not seen in such a position but the waxy leaves suggest it may do OK, and can be made into a bush or a tree. And Gorse, which may eat the postman.

Ferdinand
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,698
    That's a bit tricky. Does it have to be a pine?
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 470
    edited November 2020
    My other thought is the Evergreen Oak (Holm Oak), which grows in coastal areas.

It can be clipped to make a hedge, so presumably can be clipped for your space.

If you look for other things with protective bark and robust eg waxy leaves, they may be good candidates.
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
    Posy,
    I doesn't have to be but I was thinking of replacing like for like but..

Ferdinand,
    I've had a look at your suggestions and managed to collar one of my neighbours further round the Bay (safely of course) and they have successfully grown upright dwarf cherry trees with little problem (scorch is still a bit of an issue by unlike the pine trees the leaves recover/grow back fairly quickly). so I now have a few options to pursue.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,498
    If you are looking to replace with another pine, I think Pinus Mugo would work in your front garden. They don't grow fast and unlikely to take over your beds. They are very resistant to high winds too. They can be pruned to how you want it to grow, and often seen cloud-pruned.
    I thought I'd provide a bit of an update. I planted a 1.5m Cherry sunburst, bought from a major DIY store for the princely sum of £12. I planted it in December just before a major cold snap dropped the temperatures into the minuses and later a week of heavy frost then gales. So i think you'll agree, not the best time of year or weather to ensure a good start. However, the tree disagrees. It is looking very healthy and has plenty of leaf and had a light blossom earlier. it is still staked and will remain so for a good while yet and is watered very regularly .
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,087
    Bargain.
    A healthy tree/nice shape.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,184
    That's great. Glad it's doing well. It's certainly a nice shapely specimen. 
    You may find it gets a bit battered about as it grows bigger, but as long as it's established and healthy, it should survive and be able to withstand some weather damage to outer foliage.  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....