Forum home The potting shed

Pros and Cons of a Polytunnel (vs greenhouse)

Afternoon forumites!

I've just started on my new allotment, we have a large corner plot which faces a medium sized council carpark. I'd like to start putting something up on the plot this month in order to get some seedlings started by 1st Jan. If I have a budget of £250 what would you say would be the best option: a polytunnel or a greenhouse (would need it to be plastic rather than glass). Thanks

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,479
    Poly tunnel a larger size would be a lot  cheaper than a greenhouse but maybe easily damaged in strong winds?
    They never look easy to get the cover on and secured and I assume if it gets damaged you would have to replace the whole thing.
    Greenhouses obviously more robust.  If you put on gutters you can collect rainwater .
    More expensive but look out for second-hand ones in local paper or online sites.
    Easy to replace any damaged panes.

• With that budget, I'd say a Polytunnel particularly if you want it for an allotment.  If they are erected and fixed correctly, IME they are to all intents and purposes as robust as a cheap GH.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,237
    Polytunnel.   Ours is 8m long and 4m wide.  OH decided to erect it on his own and built the entire metal frame structure himself, just following the instructions and then I helped him slide the plastic sheet over it.  He dug trenches either side to bury the plastic sheet, hung a door at either end and also puts on th egreen mesh sun screen netting in spring all by himself.

Storm Alex a few weeks ago sent us a tornado that ripped the roof off two barns and flew them around our plot, beams included.  The polytunnel had no serious damage other than a bit of tightening needed on a door hinge.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • We have a polytunnel that has had its cover now for 15 years and just showing its age. Gutters were fixed outside so that rain water could be collected inside. Very good.