Forum home Wildlife gardening

Seed heads for birds

B3B3 Posts: 15,047
I have left the seed heads in my verbena bonarensis but the rain has softened them and I can't see them drying out much.
Will the birds still be interested in them?
I hope not, because they look awful!
In London. Keen but lazy.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,130
    I had earmarked a couple of rather nice aquilegias for seed collection but when the time was right and I went to look, all the aquilegia seed heads had been removed or emptied.
    I'm blaming the goldfinches, though this has never happened before. Usually I get millions of seedlings. Won't have that problem  this year anyway :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    They just rot here, so I tend to leave them for a while, in case any might self seed,  and then remove, but it also depends on whether I can see them from the house or not. The ones in the bed under my bedroom window are only seen when I'm outside, so I don't mind them staying a bit longer. 
    I removed the Liatris heads a while ago as they were just manky, and the other planting was dying back so that they were more visible. I'd think most birds would take one look at those and shove off to the bird feeders instead  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 15,047
    That's good news! I certainly don't need any more seedlings. I was leaving them for the birds. It will be my great pleasure to prune them down😊
    I had earmarked a couple of rather nice aquilegias for seed collection but when the time was right and I went to look, all the aquilegia seed heads had been removed or emptied.
    I'm blaming the goldfinches, though this has never happened before. Usually I get millions of seedlings. Won't have that problem  this year anyway :)

Maybe more manageable quantities anyway😉
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 372
    B3 said:
    I have left the seed heads in my verbena bonarensis but the rain has softened them and I can't see them drying out much.
    Will the birds still be interested in them?
    I hope not, because they look awful!
    I've just come home to see goldfinches eating the verbena bonariensis seedheads and the plants are pretty soggy of so much rain of late.
    too late. They're on the compost heap!
    Plenty of stuff in the feeder.
  • We leave many plants to seed and the birds like to forage.
    It may look untidy to some but the wildlife enjoys and then we cut back when the seed heads have gone.