Forum home Plants

Bareroot laurel

Can anyone show me images of what 2/3 foot bareroot laurel will look like after first season of growth ?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    edited November 2020
    There's a huge thread here about cherry laurels @endacleere so you may find photos there. I'll see if I can find the link to it.  :)
    However, a bare root laurel isn't going to look vastly different after one season, as it spends most of that getting it's roots established  :)

Here you are. It'll take a while to read it though!   :)
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/656523/help-needed-please-with-laurel-hedge-issues/p1
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 845
    A neighbour put in some 2ft plants in 2017, and they are now about 6ft, and they have been totally neglected!  This year has been good for them.

I put in a few small cuttings years back  and they are now 10ft or so.  They took a while to get going, but once established they took off.

It's a funny plant, comes into its own this time of year, when all the diciduous plants die back.  In the summer I think about ripping them out.  Come winter they offer green hope!

My Mum shaped one into a standard tree in her old garden, and the trunk was absolutely beautiful.  They can runaway somewhat.

They probably grow only when you turn your back ;)