Forum home Plants

companion plants for roses

• newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 479
    @Pete.8, that is very beautiful. Mine flop all the time and doesnt bloom much.

I need to move Mainacht from shade to sun. Also the snails or slugs are eating it all the time. I had thought they wont eat salvias.

I am also growing many shrubby salvias, those are in sunny border but then they grew really big. Flowered all summer well into autumn. All easily rooted from cuttings. Out of shrubby ones Nachtvlinder has lovely fragrant leaves but it is floppy even in sun.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 458
    Could your soil be quite rich and fertile @newbie77? This may be the cause of the flopping if the plants are in full sun.
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 479
    @rachelQrtJHBjb, yes that could be possible reason.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,168
    Mine is planted in fairly poor soil to which I added a grit, but it gets sun most of the day.
    Yes, slugs devour the new shoots as they appear, same happens with Amistad

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,468
    @Pete.8 That's beautiful. My plant in full sun, in poor free-draining soil, flowered for 4-5 weeks (basically June only) in its first year (from 1l plant) and never reflowered after deadheading. I think it was too dry to establish well but I was so disappointed with it that I hadn't bothered watering it. In its second year, it was still there but declined. It is still there, just surviving but not much more than that.
    One shrubby salvia died on me in a pot over winter. A different one is lovely but a colour I have no good use for (salmon). Another one is too bright pink and I don't know where to plant it. It looks like I either buy wrong plants (I am blaming SGC for that) or kill them.
    But I am good with culinary salvia. Too good. It's taking over my herb bed.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 793
    Astrantias look lovely with roses and the flowers last a long time and will keep flowering if you deadhead them. 
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Such a lot of wonderful ideas, thanks everyone!
  • sarinkasarinka BedsPosts: 261
    edited November 2020
    Not perennials, but I liked the effect of  wide semi circle of marigolds (tagetes type) around my yellow Arthur Bell this year. The pale and the vibrant- different shades of the same colour- work well, to my mind. Long, similar flowering season, too.

But yellow is my favourite colour.... YMMV.:)
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,873
    edited November 2020
    @rachelQrtJHBjb, I have Nachtvlinder, I love it but find it pretty invasive, is it not the same for you? I planted a rose in summer with a cutting of Nachtvlinder about 50cm from the rose and it romped away. Having decided to move the rose today, I found lots of fat white roots of the salvia entangled with the rose roots and little shoots popping up under the rose. They say it’s better to let the rose establish a year before adding companion planting, but not a rule I always follow!
  • @Nollie The same happened with my salvia Amethyst Lips and Munstead Wood rose. I had to remove the salvia and there were lots of white roots and shoots growing everywhere. Such a pity as I really liked the combination. 
    🐾 East Midlands 🐾