Forum home Plants

Shrub/small tree ID please

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,592

Posting on behalf of @WonkyWomble ... she is seeking an ID for this small tree belonging to a customer who says it has pink flowers. 

Thanks folks 😊 
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,592
    edited 18 November
    I wondered if it’s a Crataegus but the leaves look a bit wrong ... what do others think 🤔 

I’ve asked if there are thorns or signs of fruit/berries but she can’t check that until her next visit. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,347
    It does look like a Crataegus, @Dovefromabove.  C.pinnatifida has big leaves and hardly any thorns... and there are plenty of other varieties too.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    edited 18 November
    Thanks @Liriodendron 😊 
    I really only know our native one. I’ll tell @WonkyWomble 😊 

Edited to say:  she sends thanks 🙏 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,347
    You're (both) welcome!  Hope I'm right...   ;)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,911
    I wondered about Hibiscus, but I'm far from sure. It looks familiar.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,567
    With the size of the trunk, leaf scapes...see  pic.1 and 2./ shape of leaves and pink flowers it looks like 
    Crataegus laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • My first instinct was Hibiscus as well, ours died years ago and it's always been in the back of my mind to replace it.
    Update ... @WonkyWomble ’s customer found the label

👍 

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,567
    Update ... @WonkyWomble ’s customer found the label

👍 
    Delighted that you found the label.
    I wasn't sure if my post had been read.
    The clue is in the mini leaves...leaf scapes./and a leaf like the common Hawthorn.
    Not many trees have these.
    Hibiscus certain do not 
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Yes ... thank you @Silver surfer ... I read yiudd ed post yesterday evening but was soooo tired ... my apologies .., and thanks from @WonkyWomble and myself 🙏