Forum home Plants

Shrub/small tree ID please

Posting on behalf of @WonkyWomble ... she is seeking an ID for this small tree belonging to a customer who says it has pink flowers. 

Thanks folks 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,864
    edited November 2020
    I wondered if it’s a Crataegus but the leaves look a bit wrong ... what do others think 🤔 

I’ve asked if there are thorns or signs of fruit/berries but she can’t check that until her next visit. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• It does look like a Crataegus, @Dovefromabove.  C.pinnatifida has big leaves and hardly any thorns... and there are plenty of other varieties too.
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,864
    edited November 2020
    Thanks @Liriodendron 😊 
    I really only know our native one. I’ll tell @WonkyWomble 😊 

Edited to say:  she sends thanks 🙏 

• You're (both) welcome!  Hope I'm right...   ;)
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,686
    I wondered about Hibiscus, but I'm far from sure. It looks familiar.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • With the size of the trunk, leaf scapes...see  pic.1 and 2./ shape of leaves and pink flowers it looks like 
    Crataegus laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • My first instinct was Hibiscus as well, ours died years ago and it's always been in the back of my mind to replace it.
    Southampton 
  • Update ... @WonkyWomble ’s customer found the label

👍 

• Update ... @WonkyWomble ’s customer found the label

👍 
    Delighted that you found the label.
    I wasn't sure if my post had been read.
    The clue is in the mini leaves...leaf scapes./and a leaf like the common Hawthorn.
    Not many trees have these.
    Hibiscus certain do not 
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Yes ... thank you @Silver surfer ... I read yiudd ed post yesterday evening but was soooo tired ... my apologies .., and thanks from @WonkyWomble and myself 🙏