Forum home Fruit & veg

Boltardy Beetroot plants discovered.. what to do?

Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 434
edited November 2020 in Fruit & veg
Today I found some boltardy beetroot that I had forgotten about in the potting area.

Is there anything I can do with these?

i ave a garden, a cold frame, southern facing windowsills, and a light N facing conservatory that has been running at 11C min 16C max over the last month with heating if required.

The conservatory also has a micro greens area with grow lights.

What should I do? can I split these and hope for beetroot?

“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I'd go for it - what have you got to lose?  If you get no beets, you can eat the foliage.
  • Yes, but Plan A, B or C.

I think pots under the lights are probably the one.
  • Grow lights are the way forward. Beetroot are pretty tough but won't grow without decent light, and they won't get it naturally at this time of year. Boltardy foliage will get pretty large though.

But before you do it, check the root part where the beet will form. I'm on a mobile device so it's hard to see photos at full size, but it does look like you have multiple plants very close together and stretching. Check the root part to see if it looks long or stretched - if it does, just bin them because they won't turn into nice round beets, they'll stay long and thin and get tough. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,597
    https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

These people are keen to help growers save beet root seed and others.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 434
    edited 8 January
    These beetroot are now going satisfyingly bezerk, having been there since late November. they were planted as the seed lines shown at the top of the thread.

Can anyone advise as to when I can expect something harvestable.

They have had a few doses of seaweed fertiliser, and been under blue/red light.

Thanks

Ferdinand

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,636
    I've never grown them in pots nor under artificial light but have always found this variety a good one.  The only thing I can suggest is that you poke around ( gently ! ) and feel whether there is any swelling going on.
    Good luck with them - they look pretty healthy anyway.  If you don't get any actual beets, you can always use the leafy tops :)