Forum home Plants

Evening Primrose

BryanCBryanC Posts: 18
I have an Evening Primrose which I want to relocate. It is about 5 feet tall. Should I cut it down by 3 or 4 feet before attempting to lift and relocate it.

• The ones I have growing seem to be mostly biennial so when they have produced the tall flower head in their second year they tend to die. I think the plant would have a better chance of continuing to grow if you cut the old flower spike off but the chances of surviving a move could still be low. They produce seed that are fairly good at sprouting again to produce another generation so if you shake the old flower heads over some compost you can see them sprout fairly quickly and once you recognise the small ones you will probably spot them in your garden as well. The ones I currently have in the garden are all self seeded.
  • I never planted them, they just came up in this garden, and they have been coming up for the 36+ years we have lived here!
  • Move as wanted but leave the stem on you as will get self seeded plants next year plus lots of entertainment over this winter watching the Tits and Goldfinches eating the seeds. The stems and seed heads aren’t the most elegant but worth keeping for the amount of bird life they attract.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 18
    Good morning and thank you. I had not thought about the birds. I do not remember planting this one so it must be self seeded. Ta again.
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 18
    Thanks all. Time to get on with the move before the rains come.