Forum home The potting shed

CALLING ALL PET OWNERS

124»

• B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    We had a cat that that happened to. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,479
    Been with the same vet well over 20 years, well he has no emigrated, but same practice, he told me with our last dogs to make sure we used product that kills Lungworm, they had had cases, and by the time thedog had sympstoms it was too late to save them, they bled to death.Having had 2 terrible infestations, in houses, that were nothing to do with us, I trust him.  prevention is often better than cure, are we going to have some human antivaxers on here!!
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,023
    Four years ago, concerned about aquatic life, we opted to try a new leishmaniasis vaccine instead of a scalibor collar. The next day, our girl fell ill and was soon rushed to hospital with acute kidney failure. She hadn’t been out of our sight so we were absolutely sure she hadn’t eaten any poison. She was close to death and we were told to ‘prepare ourselves’. Fortunately she made a full recovery in time, after round-the-clock hospital care and then nursing and special diet at home. I am convinced it was a severe reaction to the vaccine. I am not in the least anti-vax but became wary of new, insufficiently tested vacs (human or animal) after that and now have a more ‘wait and see’ approach.
  • Encourage your neighbours to be keen gardeners and keep digging their plot. Leave your own garden untended. Cats really love freshly dug seed beds and borders.
  • I used Frontline on my previous dog having seen the devastating effect of flea allergy in a dog belonging to a friend and owning a dog who also had an allergy to flea bites, the dog reacts to the flea saliva apparently. Then I noticed my dog was really under the weather for 3/4 days each time I used the spot on treatment. I stopped using it and shortly afterwards it was revealed that Frontline was carcinagenic.
    My previuos vet put the fear of god into me trying to sell me very expensive flea spray to use around the house, in the car etc. She said I would be a carrier for fleas as well as the dog. The treatment had to be repeated regularly so would be very costly. I changed vets as every visit I would be "encouraged" to buy more products, special food etc.
    My dog and cat have an annual vaccination against parvo etc. and I use a different brand of spot on flea treatment on both of them. 
    Central heating has contributed to fleas in homes. They can go very long periods without needing a meal from a host and get into the fabric of houses where they breed.  
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,332
    I don't wash my dogs because they don't need it and they don't go swimming in any water, but thanks for letting me know.
    I'd still use the spot on treatment every 2 months because it's best to do it that way so fleas don't get into the house and it's best for ticks as well.but thanks.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,787
    On a lighter note..............I had a Burmese cat who was brighter than me.

The vet told me  to stick him in a pillow case with some flea powder in it and then gather the top around his neck and then rub the powder all over him.

The look of disdain he gave me was very funny.

" What are you doing you stupid man " I swear he said.

Me jumping about and him just waiting for me to stop making a fool of myself.

I still miss him. :'(

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.