Forum home The potting shed

CALLING ALL PET OWNERS

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,173
    The tablet treatments I use on the recommendation of my pooch's vet is Bravecto for fleas & ticks (also prevents transmission of Lyme disease, Babesiosis and Bartonellosis ) and Milbemax for worms in all their varieties.
    I don't buy from the vet, I get a scrip and buy online.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759
    That's good to know @Pete.8 as our stuff is Bravecto too and we've just bought a load online.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,961
    It certainly looks like tablets are the way to go rather than topical treatments, and Bravecto doesn't contain the chemicals mentioned in the article.

Unfortunately it looks like the cheap over-the-counter treatments contain Fipronil or Imidacloprid. If the problem is as big as the article suggests something will have to be done about these chemicals.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,468
    Are these pills systemic insecticides?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    B3 said:
    Are these pills systemic insecticides?
    Yes
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 101
    Growing up it was taken for granted the dogs would get fleas. I spent many a happy childhood hour hunting down the fleas on the dog and crunching them between my fingernails. Never been bitten by a flea (mind, I appear to be almost immune to the Scottish midge too). When the population got too heavy, the dog got a bath, coal tar shampoo - with water up to the neck, all the fleas would run to the nose and could be knocked into the water.

Nowadays, the only time the dogs get fleas is from the (increasingly rare) hedgehogs, or doggy day care. We do use a spot-on treatment (guilt) but most of it gets rubbed off on the carpet, sofa, chairs etc. We also keep them out of the local waterways for a few days. Don't know if that makes a difference.  

Would like to use pills, but prefer to retain the use of my fingers. (We've tried everything, even the vet has given up.If it's not injectable or spot liquid, she doesn't get it.)
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,468
    Would you give a child a systemic insecticide to stop it from getting head lice?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Both the treatment pills I give my dog are 'chocolate' flavour chewable tablets (about the size of a large Rolo). 
    Needless to say she's very keen to eat them.
    B3 said:
    Would you give a child a systemic insecticide to stop it from getting head lice?
    I can't think why anyone would do that when there are better and safer alternatives

My last dog - a Border collie had the same treatments - she died just before her 15th Birthday
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,791
    edited November 2020
    The thing that annoys me is the not just the systemic insecticide. It’s the systemic prescribing of drugs that aren’t necessary.  Our cats get their annual injections against FIV and so on. Fair enough.

But there is the automatic doling out of flea treatment (not free flea treatment either) even though they have never had fleas. Nobody asks “has your cat had fleas since we last saw him/her?” 

One got a tick once and I just removed it with one of those dinky little tools.

We accept the flea treatment just to keep on the right side of the vet, don’t want to appear uppity. Not good in a small community. We bring it home and put it in the drawer. Never needed to dig one of them out from their hiding place so far.

But this is what happened the year we did follow instructions and applied the prescribed flea treatment to our cat, who didn’t have fleas.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.