Forum home The potting shed

CALLING ALL PET OWNERS

• SlipperyElmSlipperyElm Posts: 234
    edited November 2020
    This will get us nowhere.  Another thread to mull over, endlessly.  Or not.  Nine days wonder..Remind me on November  26th.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,295
    Or you could just ignore the thread and move on instead of stirring.....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Well, you have been given the information and you have made your decision about its value.

I suggest that you now let other people read it and make up their own minds.

No need to go on about it.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,226
    This is depressing news for pet owners who try to make sure their cats and dogs are not spreading pests and diseases.   I do regular applications of flea and tick treatments.  We live in the countryside with all sorts of wildlife about including deer and rabbits which host ticks which can cause all sorts of nasties to cats, dogs and hoomans.   Neither dog goes swimming - no opportunity - tho Bonzo Labrador does, occasionally leap into the ditches when they're full after winter rains.

Will have to talk to the vet when I take the cats for their annual jabs in Jan/Feb - covid permitting.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,503
    I give prescription only treatments to my dog for worms, and fleas and ticks - the latter mainly due to babeosis virus that has arrived on our shores in recent years.
    However both these treatments are in tablet form and given every 3 months.
    So there are treatments available that are more environmentally friendly
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,490
    Amazed all these folk have never had fleas on their dogs, maybe we have been unlucky.  When my daughter was 6 weeks old, we moved into a L.A property, build in the 1940, only one family had lived there before us, it had been empty several months. Aparently flea eggs can live for some years, we had the most dreadful infestation for months, we had to "do" the carpets, and leave the house, we had exactly the same thing in the previous house, which was pretty rural, fields at the bottom of the garden, I did the house "stuff", as per the instructions on the can.  The vet we had then was extremely rude, said I couldn't have done, "Wha I claimed",(i had been nursing over 20 years at this point) turned out, I needed to spray along the skirting boards, and bottom of the cupboards.  This was my Husband's dog, and my last one, which had been dead several years at this point, never lived in either of these houses, got terrible "flea eczema", their back were raw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,854
    Very true @Nanny Beach ... when I was working for social services I had to go and visit a newly refurbished local authority to see if it would be suitable for a vulnerable family I worked with. After spending less than an hour in the flat with a LA Housing Officer my ankles were covered in flea bites ... the Housing Officer had stood a briefcase on the floor and laid her coat over it ... in a later phone call she said that she’d had to have the interior of her car treated against cat fleas as she’d carried them into her car on her coat. The flat had been empty and semi-derelict for a couple of years as it had been isolated due to a new road was being built alongside that estate ... once a pedestrian footway over the new road had been finished the flats had a major refurbishment. 
    The fleas had lurked in the cracks around skirting boards etc. 
    Fortunately we found a more suitable flat for the family in question. 
    I hope the Housing Officer was able to evict the unwanted residents 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    When my dad was a young man he helped the local medical officer for health in Sheffield. There were some real slums in the city centre. 

My dad used to tell us of him folding back a bit of peeling wallpaper and finding a bunch of bedbugs having a snooze there. Another place they used to hide was in the screw-on finials of brass beds.

Pete.8’s flea tablets sound like a better way to go with treatment if we have a hope of saving the ecology of our rivers.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KiliKili Posts: 715
    edited November 2020
    I treat my cat (I say my cat, the cat that was forced on me by the wife, daughter and daughter in law, and who has to take care of the blasted beast! yes me of course) once every 6 months and that seems to be enough but, the most worrying aspect of the article for me is the toxicity of the flea treatment. What are the long term consequences for the animals of using such a toxic cocktail. 

Is there an alternative that is less toxic?

On an unrelated issue: How do you train your cat to do its business in the neighbours garden instead of your own lol...?  :D

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• B3B3 Posts: 18,688
    Although, I can't prove it, I am convinced that a much - loved dog was killed by the flea drops you put on their skin. You are introducing a poison into their system. I would never use it again if I get another pet.
    In London. Keen but lazy.