Forum home The potting shed

CALLING ALL PET OWNERS

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,504
Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,911
    That's extremely concerning.

I've never treated Cody for fleas, because... he has never seemed to have had them. But that doesn't stop my vet trying to 'upsell' me ongoing flea/worm treatment whenever I have to go in.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,504
    Yes, our poor cats are always being prescribed flea treatment. Never had fleas. Mind you, they don’t go swimming and as for trying to bathe one of them...😳🤕
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,817
    Our two wear scalibor collars to protect against sandflies in particular, which can cause leishmaniasis, fairly rife over here and a horrible disease. As my girl is a water fiend and loves swimming in rivers, it’s a dilemma, as the riverbanks are full of sandflies but the chemical in the scalibor is toxic to aquatic life, especially fish. Not that we actually have any fish in our local river but I worry about other aquatic life. I don’t allow her to swim for the first 6 weeks of donning a new collar to reduce the impact. 
  • Covid first, Brexit next (  ! ) , then a few other little issues, before we get onto this load of old bollocks.  Not convinced.  Never am.  But the 'journos' have to make a living, I suppose.   How many bird-killing evil cats go swimming, or have a bath?  Down to the dog lovers, then.  On you go.....worth a scrap over, I suppose.  Knowing you lot it'll only be a matter of time.

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,421
    My cat had fleas when we brought her from the breeder. Unfortunately, the treatments need to be used months after the initial treatment to be sure there isn't anything surviving in the house. Also, I have to use cattery services when travelling and it would be risky to do that without preventative treatment.
    But at least I know my cat doesn't swim in rivers.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705
    I had a fireman in once who kept getting fleas from some of the houses he went in to fit smoke alarms.  He wanted a preventative, we suggested a dog size flea collar.  Well we all had a laugh anyway
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,866
    edited 17 November
    Two acclaimed scientists and two practising veterinary surgeons undertake research which is published in a respected scientific journal. The results are then brought to the attention of the wider public by being broadcast in a national newspaper. Why is it then, SlipperyElm, that you denigrate this by calling the journalists journos and then put it in inverted commas to devalue it further? What are you not convinced about? Or have I misinterpreted the thrust of your post?

The dismissal of objective, evidenced research by the unqualified is becoming a scourge of our times.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,504
    edited 17 November
    I hardly think that the Environment Agency, The University of Sussex or the Board and Trustees of Buglife, who include Professor Steve Ormerod are exactly “journos”.

Heigh ho, what do I care. I’ll be dead soon. Just thought I’d try to alert a few people who might be around a bit longer to a future problem.

Well, to hell with the world.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,020
    When I had pets,one of them was allergic to flea spray so we used the stuff you spray on carpets. It was expensive but worked well.
    Apparently the fleas lay eggs in carpets or upholstery and the mature ones jump into your pets for a feed.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • HeliosHelios Posts: 68
    edited 17 November
    I used to use the flea drops on our dog but then omitted to do so last year. Forgot😊 No fleas, scratching, nothing,  so maybe me and my dog are unwittingly leading the way in helping reduce pollution in our waterways.