Forum home Fruit & veg

Brussels "flowering"

We've grown a few Brussels this year and the plants are really strong. Some of the actual Brussels though have "flowered" out rather than staying as tight balls so to speak. Is there anything we can do to prevent this next year. If they were tight and we've left them too long they can't have been tight for long as we look most days.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,415
    It is known as brussels 'blowing'.  This can happen through lack of water (eg if the roots get damaged by wind-rock), so young plants are best planted out a bit deeper (right up to the lowest leaves) and the soil needs to be well firmed around each plant.  In very open or windy areas, they may need support.  Sprouts grow best in heavy (eg clay-based) soil with sandy or other light soils making it difficult to prevent this happening.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,053
    Just shut your eyes and pretend that you are up to the minute gardeners and you are enjoying the very vogue ”kalettes”.😊

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalette

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,560
    They still taste as good as hard sprouts.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,333
    That's an oxymoron!   

Hate sprouts but I did like kalettes when they appeared in the Belgian supermarkets but I've never seen them here in the Vendée in 4 years.   I have seeds tho and may well sow some next year if OH gets some more veggie beds marked out.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,494
    I think the changeable weather has caused this. We had cold snap now it's mild again & things are re- growing . It may also be the variety you are growing.  Some mature  early,  if you want them for Christmas you need to grow something that matures November to January.
    AB Still learning

• I think the changeable weather has caused this. We had cold snap now it's mild again & things are re- growing . It may also be the variety you are growing.  Some mature  early,  if you want them for Christmas you need to grow something that matures November to January.

Someone gave us the plants so no idea. There are some that are still "tight" and to be honest I don't eat them but the rest of the family love them :-)
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,494
    Well if you get to  choose go for Clodius, Brodie, or Trafalgar. 
    Modern breeding has got rid of most of the bitterness from sprouts so as one of the grand kids said "they are just like little cabbages".  She will go far that kid.  :D
    AB Still learning