Forum home Fruit & veg

Do Beetroot fork?

I'm aware that things like carrots and parsnips will fork if grown on newly manured ground, but does this also apply to beetroot?  I grow the Cylindra variety for pickling.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,616
    I believe so ... I've never done it because of that. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I've never had forked beetroot (except when I'm eating it ;) ), and I grow a lot of my beetroot in freshly filled raised beds, and trough containers at the end of the season for a last baby crop. I grow boltardy and something else that I can't remember, but they don't seem bothered by fresh compost.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,430
    I agree, never had a beetroot fork and I use a lot of manure on the veg plot.  Only issue I get with them is Beet Leaf Miners and occasional slug damage.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 651
    Thanks all three.  I think that's enough to give it a try.
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 914
    Mine seem to split - sometimes at the top, sometimes underneath.  They still taste good though.  
    A couple of my parsnips have forked and the others seem to be straight - winter-manured ground and in the same row.  I just scrub them with a brush and cut off the tails.   They taste good too!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.