Forum home Plants

Lobelia tupa

SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 41
Hello - Would any of you have experience with Lobelia tupa? I would like to know whether I should cut them right back to the ground before winter...

For the record, my L. tupa seem to have decided to be rampant rather than upright, and though I quite like it, I worry the stems will rot altogether during the rainy months. I only got one flower out of 8 plants planted in late Spring, fingers crossed it'll be better next year.

They're still looking good for now though  :)

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,567
    I grew mine from seeds, they’ll die right back through the winter so you can cut them back then. Might as well leave them now, it’s a bit of green. 
    They should flower next year, they’re perennials.  They grow very tall so you could stake them to keep upright.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 41
    @Lyn Thank you very much for your feedback, and for the tip re. staking them, I will definitely do next year!
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 374
    Warning: Chilean plant, not fully hardy in UK, which is why I ,and I suspect many others, in UK had never heard of it ! You might get away with it in the heat island of London. It is lovely though. I would be inclined to take a few cuttings now, just in case.
    Sophie, I thought of an idea. It is what I do with my more tender Fuschias. They are deciduous and will shed all their leaves after the first frost. What I do is pile over the stump with fallen leaves. This protects them in very cold weather. If you add a layer of waxy parer, this will keep it dry, which also helps. Chileans do not like cold + wet !
    paper
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,567
    In Perth. Scotland in National Trust Scotland  garden at Branklyn, there is a very healthy specimen. 
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    edited 17 November
    @Inglezinho Thank you very much for your recommendations. I "strulched" that flower bed yesterday, hopefully that will help preserve them (I unfortunately only have a tiny cold frame). I have tried my hands at various cuttings (including that lobelia) but my success rate has been abysmal (just a couple of salvias out of probably 30 - oops), so not sure it's a viable option for me ;)

@Silver surfer Thank you for the beautiful photos. I only had one flower blooming this year but it was impressive like this one. Mine's looking a little wilted now but hopefully all will flower next year.

As we are 960’ above SL, it’s always a couple of degrees colder than anywhere else, and windy, they grow well here, as I said, grown from seeds, 

@Lyn  Beautiful!! And the Lobelias look great with the crocosmia, very nice combination!
    Thank you Sophie.