Forum home Fruit & veg

Cherry bush Porthos (prunus avium?)

BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 948
I bought this recently and have just put it in a sheltered spot. Should I put it in a larger pot for the winter (it came in a 3L). It doesn't look a particularly healthy specimen at the moment. Does it need some TLC or the @Fairygirl sink or swim treatment? ;)

• Cherry trees here have mostly dropped their leaves for winter so a bit of discolouration in the leaves on your one at this time of year would not worry me that much. Re-potting would probably help it but if it was mine and I wanted to grow it in the ground I'd probably plant it out in the ground straight away once it has had a week or two somewhere sheltered in case it is coming from warm greenhouse or shopping centre. Not grown this variety but cherry trees are generally fairly hardy.
    Happy gardening!
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,510
    edited November 2020
    The wonderful Internet says Porthos is a sweet cherry (ie not P.avium), and will grow to a 2m bush.   :)

And yes - I'd plant it in the ground now.  Those leaves will soon fall naturally.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 948
    edited November 2020
    Thanks @robairdmacraignil :). I should've explained that I'm currently thinking that it will be in a pot long-term rather than going in the ground. I'd be happy if it could stay in the original pot for the winter, but wondered if it would benefit from being potted on at this stage. It sounds like you'd agree this would probably be best. Any thoughts on what growing medium would be best in the larger pot? I've got MPC, horticultural grit and bonemeal to hand.

Sorry @Liriodendron - crossed posts! It was sold as a bush suitable for pot-growing but 2m sounds bigger than anticipated :o
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    Depends how big your pot is @Biglad  :D  
    Sink or swim is fine if the plant is healthy and in suitable conditions [  ;) ]  but if it's been in that pot a while, it might benefit from just going into something slightly bigger with some fresh soil.
    It's not going to grow much until next year, but it would let it get roots settled and it'll tick over until you see what you want to do with it. The leaves will drop , as @Liriodendron says. 
    You need a soil based medium if it's staying potted long term, but anything will do for over winter, and then you can see about a proper pot to move it into, and a better medium then. Bonemeal is good for root formation so it's worth adding a little of that.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 948
    Perfect. Thanks @Fairygirl :)