Forum home Tools and techniques

Does Anyone put a "Jacket" on Their Compost Dalek to Help it Along in Wintertime?

pinkskyinthecitypinkskyinthecity Nottinghamshire, England Posts: 40
As the temps drop, would anyone suggest this as a way to keep the decomposition process going? I have a Dalek type and am thinking of making a bubble-wrap jacket for it. Will this be effective, I wonder? 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,258
    I am trying that out for the first time this year and so far it seems to be working as I've still got the brandling worms and other creepies inside. Hopefully it will make a difference over the winter. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,808
    Well the hotbox type composters seem to be just insulated with polystyrene, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Not much goes in mine in winter. The kitchen trimmings get dumped in, but they really don't get going until spring when I mix it up with grass cuttings.  It is the bacterial decomposition that generates the heat, but insulation should keep it in better to give a better result on the edges which cool off first in a normal bin.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 851
    My pallet bins have insulation fitted inside and plastic over the top to protect it all and I can keep hot bins all year round. Any insulation will help 
  • KiliKili Posts: 439
    edited November 2020
    Not sure if this works with anything other than a Hotbin but as I understand it the hotbin people recommend putting a hot water bottle in the bin for 24 hours to get the temperature up if it drops below 15 degrees. Maybe that would work for any small compost bin as a way of keeping the temperature up for the bacteria in the compost.

Info here>>> https://www.hotbincomposting.com/blog/detailed-composting-faq/how-to-use-the-kick-start-bottle.html

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• pinkskyinthecitypinkskyinthecity Nottinghamshire, England Posts: 40
    Kili said:
    Not sure if this works with anything other than a Hotbin but as I understand it the hotbin people recommend putting a hot water bottle in the bin for 24 hours to get the temperature up if it drops below 15 degrees. Maybe that would work for any small compost bin as a way of keeping the temperature up for the bacteria in the compost.

Info here>>> https://www.hotbincomposting.com/blog/detailed-composting-faq/how-to-use-the-kick-start-bottle.html

won't it kill the existing worms inside if a hotwater bottle is next to them?