Forum home Fruit & veg

Onions

pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 128
I recently purchased some onion seeds, they say they are winter types so I have propagated them on my window cill, they are 2 cm tall now, what the packet does not tell me is, can they be planted in the ground in a few weeks, will they be OK during a frost and freezing weather ?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,434
    What name are they?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 128
    They are Aa Craig by King Seeds
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,697
    Ailsa Craig? I would grow them in modules in a cold greenhouse or cold frame over winter and plant them out in the spring. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,324
    Surely there's info with them re sowing and growing? Or on their website?
    Kings Seeds is a very reliable company.  :)

You wouldn't be planting them out at this time of year anyway. I'd be doing as @Dovefromabove describes.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

OK do you think they would be OK in my polytunnel over until say end of Feb, would a frost kill the young Onions off? being new to this veg growing, last year I killed my broad beans and Courgettes you learn as you go don't you.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,166
    Ailsa Craig is my choice.   I thought the packet back gave instructions. 
    I don’t know if those will overwinter, I sow mid to end of February plant out end of March to end of April depending on the weather . 
    They're a very large onion,  nice flavour,  I have to cut one in half sometimes.
    Was going to put a photo on, site doesn’t agree, 😀

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I checked with the packet and it says sow from December under glass, I thought well it must be December what with all the loonies taking over the garden centre buying rubbish that ends up in the dust cart or on the tip, so I planted them.
  • I've planted seeds in a tray and they have just peeped through. They are in my conservatory at the minute but im hoping that when they are a bit more established I can put them in my "Work in Progress" Coldframe