Forum home Fruit & veg

Very small seed garlic bulbs

I have been given these very small garlic bulbs by a friend who had to buy more than she needed to get them online. She bought them as seed garlic but doesn’t know what type they are. Just that you plant them whole i.e. not as individual cloves.

Does anyone know whether these tiny bulbs are likely to produce full sized garlic bulbs? And when?

I think I’ve read somewhere that sometimes it is a two year wait before you get normal sized cooking garlic from small seed garlics. I presume the first year is for the bulb to reach the right size to break it into cloves and then I suppose you plant them to get your harvest 2 years from original planting? Is that how it works?

Anyone think they know what type of garlic start off this small?

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,291
    I think you will get a decent bulb from them in one year, they are much bigger than garlic bulbils, they look like the bulbs you get after the first year with bulbils, plant them out now and treat as you would normal garlic cloves.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,434
    Do you know what variety they are?
    They look a bit like the sort that form within a flower. They may take two years before you get usable cloves.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did ask my friend again but she just said she couldn’t  remember the variety (I think she ordered them some time ago) and I didn’t want to her with more enquiries.

I guess - one way or another - it’s going to be one of those garden surprises that I shall enjoy (also one way or another!) next year.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,800
    Go to your fruit and veg shop and but some garlic bulbs and split them into 6 or 8 bulbs and plant them now in a weed free bed and check for 3 or 4 days as the birds will pick some up.

You can risk it with the ones you have got.

Small bulbs will give you small results.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595
    Good idea, NewBoy2. I might just try that.