Forum home Plants

Rock harvesting

I'm harvesting rock for my water garden.  I like the rocks with the lichens on them the most.  Is there a way to get them to grow on your rocks? I like the moss too?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860
    Where are you 'harvesting' them from?
    I hope it's on your own property. 

Lichens need clean air to grow. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    Damp and shady conditions for moss, as FG says, clean air for lichen, plus a little moisture. I have both in my shady woodland areas. If they are destined for a sunny location you can’t sustain moss (and you need some to start with, not sure you can spontaneously generate it). Some say live yoghurt bacteria encourages growth, but I know people that have tried it and it didn’t work! Seem to recall you have a big spread near a lake James, is that right or am I confusing you with someone else?
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860
    Different lichens grow in different locations too - some at high altitude in drier scree, some in damper locations nearer sea level. 
    Damp and shade for moss - generally, although it also grows in sunnier spots of they're damp. I have loads  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Lichen will arrive all by themselves if the air is sufficiently clean. Just wait for them; it's pretty similar to waiting for a tree to grow. It seems slow, but it happens. It's a joy.
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 537
    edited November 2020
    Suspect @jamesholtknows exactly what he is doing.

Wasn't he the one with the water-skiiing / fishing lake in the background of the photo of his back-garden  Capability Brown landscaped estate the other day?

F
    Smile, it confuses people.
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 537
    edited November 2020
    @Nollie

Somebody tried painting an entire storey of their house with remixed-poo-and-things on an episode of Grand Designs to get lichen.

And that did not work either :smile: .

F

“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • The problem may be that when the rocks are moved the conditions they’re placed in may not be the s as me as those they come from, so any lichens already on the rocks will die. 😢  They don’t ‘transplant’ easily and moving them can destroy them. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• When I built the roads on my property the dozer unearthed a lot of these red sandstone rocks.  Over the years some have developed moss and lichens.  I have just been picking them up with the tractor.  I used to think the color was ugly and never did anything with them.but they are growing on me and I have decided they look much better than the man made rocks..  The other benefit is that they are free except for the work of moving them.
  • BigladBiglad Posts: 3,255
    I'd happily donate all the moss in my back garden to a good home ;)
    East Lancs
  • I heartily recommend "Gathering Moss" by Robin Wall-Kimmerer - delightful book...