Forum home Plants

Cuttings in water in November to replace my other failed attempts.

KmehKmeh Posts: 130
Morning

I took cuttings over the spring and summer with so little success. Lupins, hydrangeas, climbing rose, salvia, hebe and  sarcococca confusa. I think the hydrangeas might have taken but nothing else seems to be in good condition. Everything was done in half compost/half vermiculite. Dont understand where I'm going wrong.

Just read this brilliant thread:

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1004868/plants-that-root-in-water/p1

Is there anything from the above list or anything else that comes to mind that I could so water cuttings from in November?

Thanks

• In my humble experience water cuttings don't work in the winter. I think the main problem is lack of light. Also the plant needs to be in vigorous growth. Slow growing things don't make good water cuttings and warmth just rots them.
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • I've had very good success with rooting Hebes in water starting at various times throughout the year including winter. 

I've had a rose stem in water since June which has just put out a root yesterday. That said it was purely experimental. The easiest way to grow roses is to do hardwood cuttings now, stick them in a pot or straight in the ground outside and just leave them.

I've not had any success with Salvia in water, but found they took very easily in a mix of multipurpose and sharp sand. Did them around the edges of pots and in individual cells in a modular tray and they all took. But I took those end of August. My salvia outside are shutting down now.

But you've nothing to lose, assuming you have space for them, in grabbing a bunch of cuttings and sticking them in a jar of water. They might surprise you.

Like my sixth month old penstemon water cuttings that suddenly started growing roots in February!
  • Oh dear.

I just abandoned my late Autumn Joy cuttings as they were going rubbery and to moolsh.

They were taken in I think Sept/Oct, but looked no more for this world.
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • Cuttings, probably the most frustrating gardening task for me  :/ . I have hotlips and verbena b in water, they've done absolutely nothing for about 3 months now. Except that in the last 2 weeks, the verbena has started growing new leaves at a node that's underwater. No roots, no top growth, just leaves underwater. Surely this is going to end in failure...

My verbena and hotlips in 50/50 compost perlite rooted fine in a few weeks, and is growing well. It's all black magic to me.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,047
    Sedum A. Joy is best done in gritty compost, not water. Always. 
    Or pull bits off in spring when they start growing, and pot up as above  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Sedum A. Joy is best done in gritty compost, not water. Always. 
    Or pull bits off in spring when they start growing, and pot up as above  :)
    Sedum does root very easily in water though. I did several last year and they all started growing roots within a week.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,047
    This time of year isn't good fir them  though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....