Forum home Plants

What is this shrub?

EmerionEmerion Posts: 576
This shrub is wasted behind the poly tunnel. The leaves are rapidly going now, but it was glorious a few weeks ago. I would like to propagate it, because it’s a bit big to move ( probably 5 feet by 5 feet or more ), but don’t even know what it is. The top picture shows the branches more clearly, they are distinctive, and very brittle all year.  
Carmarthenshire (mild, wet, windy). Loam over shale, very slightly sloping, so free draining. Mildly acidic or neutral.

• Euonymus alatus...common name spindle.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • It's Euonymus alatus, the Winged Spindle.  You can grow it from seed if your shrub has produced any - you could try hardwood cuttings too.  Gorgeous autumn colour...   :)
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • EmerionEmerion Posts: 576
    Thanks very much. Isn’t this forum great?! I think it’s a bit late for seed, but I will brave the forecast onslaught tomorrow and have a look. 
    Carmarthenshire (mild, wet, windy). Loam over shale, very slightly sloping, so free draining. Mildly acidic or neutral.

• Emerion said:
    Thanks very much. Isn’t this forum great?! I think it’s a bit late for seed, but I will brave the forecast onslaught tomorrow and have a look. 
    You should find a few left.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .