Forum home The potting shed

WINTER TRADITIONS IN YOUR PART OF THE WORLD

167891012»

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    Did you know that Adeste Fideles, aka Oh Come All Ye Faithful, was probably written as a rallying cry to Catholics in a bid to return a Catholic monarch to the British throne?

The words were written by one John Francis Wade in about 1743.

In Portugal, there existed a similarly worded nativity song and it was translated into English.

One step further on, someone in Derbyshire re wrote the words and they became a new carol called

Whether or not they knew the story behind the original translation is not clear, but I doubt that in the tiny village of Foolow there were many underground Jacobites.

It’s a cracking tune though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xjf0iUUytVk

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    edited December 2020
    Well, there are hundreds more local carols that could be added, but I’ve run out of oomph.

So I’ll leave you with the third and final carol that is sung in each house in Foolow on Christmas night.

It’s called Farewell.

So, farewell

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0hW5GAhjmyA

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,634
    Thanks, @pansyface.  I've found this thread very interesting.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Glad you enjoyed it. 🙂
    Got your piece of coal, your bottle of whisky and your tall dark stranger lined up?

No?

How do you plan to celebrate the end of this ghastly episode and express hopes for better times ahead?

Got any family traditions?

Early night in bed with a mug of cocoa?

Here’s my final Sheffield carol of the year.  I promise.

https://sounds.bl.uk/World-and-traditional-music/Bob-and-Jacqueline-Patten-Collection/025M-C1033X0327XX-0100V0

Happy New Year to all, when it comes.🥂

• steveTusteveTu Posts: 954
    ...I'm short, fat and white haired - but I am strange...Will I do?
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
    We do the Spanish grapes at midnight thing. A leftover from a holiday years ago. (Just an excuse to gorge on grapes really.😊)
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 954
    We sit on a settee, bottle of champagne on ice, then slowly - very slowly over a period of 3 or 4 hours - go horizontal. The more foolhardy ones watch Jools and play '..count the artists that are still older than you...'. Then we all wake up about 12.05, drool dripping from our chins, with some idiot on the other end of the phone singing Oldslangside or something. Then we play 'slam the phone down' (forgetting it doesn't have a cradle any more and denting the wood (dentrochronology shows this has happened for at least 10 years)) whilst hurling abuse at the inconsiderate s*d on the other end of the line and wend our way off to bed. Still have the same bottle of champagne to keep the tradition going as well. Quids in.
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)