Forum home Fruit & veg

Ways to keep patio peach tree sheltered

I'm planning on getting an avalon pride patio peach tree. I know it's leaf curl resistant but am assuming it's still going to need a degree of rain protection? It seems a shame to keep such a lovely tree in a greenhouse though and possibly won't get the chill hours necessary? What do other people do with their patio peach trees in winter and early spring? Thanks 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,053
    My peach sits outside in a terracotta pot all year apart from when there are hard frosts predicted.

If a frost threatens to give it a nip, I put it in the conservatory, which has under floor heating.

I tend to keep it in the conservatory while it’s flowering, because the weather can be too cold and too poor for any bees to be about, and I hand pollinate it.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Wow it's a prime example and not a spot of leaf curl  :) is it avalon pride? Is it under a sheltered spot when it's outside? 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,053
    I think it’s Rochester. It’s about ten years old now and I’ve forgotten.

It sits in a south- and west-facing corner of the house. But open to all the west winds and rain. It gets no special treatment other than a regular feed of ordinary plant food.

They aren’t difficult trees really. 🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,415
    edited November 2020
    I had an Avalon Pride planted in my front garden and although it did get affected by leaf curl, it just shrugged it off and still produced lovely peaches.  There are pictures on the forum somewhere if you search.  Unfortunately, it eventually grew too large and had to be felled last year. :'(
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.