Forum home Plants

Help identifying a plant

Hello, one of my neighbours very kindly gifted me a plant  but I have no idea what it is! Can anyone help identify for me please? I don't even know if it is supposed to be inside or out! 

• Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 533
    Definitely a cyclamen , but I don't know what kind exactly 
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    It's not a hardy plant - yes, a Cyclamen persicum - they like a cool room.  Best watered when the compost feels dry, by standing the pot in a saucer and watering from below, as they don't like water on the crown of the plant.  Yours has lots of flower buds, so providing you can keep it happy it should keep going all winter.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,464
    Yes agree with @Liriodendron
    ... keep it in a cool room out of direct sunlight. Water as she described. I’d add a little Baby Bio to the water. 

When it stops flowering in the spring ask us and we’ll tell you how to dry it off for the summer and then get it started again for next winter. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    The flowers last ages but as they die, remove them with a sharp tug so that you remove all the stalk. Doing this encourages more buds. With care it should still have flowers next Easter or even longer. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    There are also hardy ones which are lovely for the autumn/winter garden [coum and hederifolium]  but be careful if buying them, that you don't mix them up.
    As already said, the one you have won't survive outdoors, and they aren't always labelled well enough   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks everyone 😁