Forum home Fruit & veg

Cabbage and Carrots......

tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 701
.....on the menu for dinner.  Pak Choi and Red & Orange Carrots fresh from the garden!  Bon appetit!!
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,450
    😋 

Supper here this evening will include Swiss chard from the garden 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 701
    @Dovefromabove   Wow!   They are as big as ukuleles!!  Do you use the stalks as well as the leaves?

edited November 2020
    Sometimes I serve the stalks separately, braised in a little stock with butter. Delicious. Other times I remove the larger part of the midrib and just steam the leaves as if it’s spinach. 
    The variety is Fordhook Giant and it’s absolutely superb. Two sowings a year  give us a minimum of two meals a week most weeks of the year. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@Dovefromabove   So do i although i find there are more stalks than cooked silverbeet to deal with!  I put a load of horse manure on my veggie garden last winter and have some really good leafy vegetables this autumn.  

PS  I don't know why the I-es  have turned themselves into i-es!  Bizarre!

I think the Fordhook Giant chard is my favourite vegetable  :D

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,800
    This is a good one wth Swiss chard when you want something indulgent - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cheesy-chard-gratin tho I usually just cut the stems crossways, not in sticks.   I also like the stalks sliced and sauteed in butter or olive oil with garlic and chilli and then toss in the sliced green parts and some raisins for a few minutes to finish.   Very good with firm cod steaks or pork or with veggie fritters.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Yes, that sort of thing is very successful with good chard @Obelixx ... I also do a sort of Tarte Tatin with it ... very delicious.