Forum home Plants

Planting bulbs,first time

Wilson73Wilson73 Posts: 136
I have a nice new bed and have placed a few shrubs,I'm now going to plant some bulbs.I have 2 types of daffodils,a bag labelled as plain old yellow daffodils and a couple of boxes of
pheasant eye daffs.
I
Can anyone give me any tips on planting,Does anyone add anything to the hole beneath the bulb?As I have heard people mention stuff like a product called bulb starter but if that's not needed I would be happy to save the money and do they need feeding and if so is that just when the flowers have arrived,somebody mentioned a feed called tomorite?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,794
    Just plant them approximately three times the depth of the bulb- deeper is better than too shallow  :)
    They don't need fed. The bulb contains everything it needs. After flowering, leave to die down naturally, and you can give them a feed then if you wish. Some slow release food, like Blood, Fish and Bone, or just a good layer of compost is fine if your soil is decent. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,425
    I sometimes feed bulbs with tomato food (that's what tomorite is, but I use whatever cheap brand I can find) after flowering and before the foliage dies down - that's when they're building up the bulbs for next year. I do feed the whole of the borders with chicken poo pellets in the spring, but y soil is on the poor side (sandy) so I think they benefit from a bit extra if I remember to do it at the right time. I have to say I'm not particularly rigorous about it though.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Wilson73Wilson73 Posts: 136
    edited November 2020
    JennyJ said:
    I sometimes feed bulbs with tomato food (that's what tomorite is, but I use whatever cheap brand I can find) after flowering and before the foliage dies down - that's when they're building up the bulbs for next year. I do feed the whole of the borders with chicken poo pellets in the spring, but y soil is on the poor side (sandy) so I think they benefit from a bit extra if I remember to do it at the right time. I have to say I'm not particularly rigorous about it though.

Hi thanks,I have chicken poo pellets in my garage but haven't used them yet,I read that some people had foxes rolling about in their flower beds and some had foxes digging after using it,so I have been reluctant to use it :)Maybe I should just give it a a go,I do know that we have at least one fox in my road at night,and my cat chased one around the garden a few years ago during the day
  • BigladBiglad Posts: 3,250
    I've used the chicken pellets for the first time this year. No unwanted visitors as yet but I can vouch for the difference it made to the growth of my veg :)
    East Lancs
  • Wilson73Wilson73 Posts: 136
    Biglad said:
    I've used the chicken pellets for the first time this year. No unwanted visitors as yet but I can vouch for the difference it made to the growth of my veg :)

Thanks,sounds good,so do you just mix them in the soil or do you throw them on top and let the rain dissolve them
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,794
    Just be aware that chicken manure is slightly alkaline. Some bulbs may not be so keen on that.
    Your daffs should be fine, but just  in case you want other bulbs in there in future.

A small amount should do no harm though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BigladBiglad Posts: 3,250
    I scattered them on the surface prior to forecast rain, @Wilson73. Didn't take long for them to dissolve and start seeping downwards. I stand to be corrected if others use them differently though ;)
    East Lancs