Forum home Plants

Plant IDs on Gardeners World

MolamolaMolamola BelgiumPosts: 99
I was watching Ep 28 of this year's Gardeners' World, and I spotted a few shrub/trees with beautiful foilage.  I wonder if anyone could guess what they are? The second photo is from Adam Frost's gravel garden. 

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    I'll take a punt that the plant on the left in the second photo (Adam's gravel garden) is Euphorbia mellifera, the honey spurge. 
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    The shrub behind Joe Swift could be Choisya x dewitteana 'Aztec Pearl' that's been left to grow tall and had the foliage removed from its lower stems. Having just watched some of this episode to try and ID the plants for you I have to say it's very difficult given fleeting shots and background plants not being in focus.
  • MolamolaMolamola BelgiumPosts: 99
    rachelQrtJHBjb Thank you, and for going back to the episode too! Those are really helpful leads.  I've looked at these plants before and they're now on my wish list. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,547
    I agree with Rachel on the Euphorbia Mellifera - grows pretty large so needs space. Here is mine just coming into flower (behind the yellow roses). After 2 years, it’s grown to 1.5 x 1.5m from a tiny, single shoot in a 9cm pot and is attempting to swallow the roses!

@philippasmith2, it’s survived -8 and heavy snow here. The foliage does die back quite a bit in winter, but it comes back bigger and stronger. If you have the space where you are now, I think it’s worth a punt. I recently coppiced mine right down as it got too big, should have waited until Spring, really, so be interesting to see if it recovers from that treatment!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,560
    Can't stand euphorbias but I do like your roses @Nollie.  What are they please?

@Molamola if you're thinking of these for you balcony beware.  You're much more likely to get spontaneous snapped stems on a balcony - wind or just brushing past - and they will leak a milky sap which can cause burns and irritation if you get it on your skin in sunlight and be a major problem should you ever get any in your eye.  One former poster on here had to have weeks of treatment for her eye after rubbing it when she had some sap on her fingers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @Obelixx I was thinking of these for my garden. It's small and northfacing so I'm always looking for compact shrub/trees with the sort of "spiky"/"wispy" foliage I like. 

I do have Euphorbia growing in my containers though. Will definitely be careful with the toxic sap. Incidentally, saw a small spurge like plant while weeding the other day, which was confirmed when it oozed milky sap on being yanked up. 
    Molamola, I wouldn’t describe E. Mellifera as compact, quite the opposite, it can grow to around 2 x 2.5 metres!

@Obelixx the rose is Julia Child, sold in the UK as Absolutely Fabulous. A large floribunda that blooms generously and continuously throughout the season.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,560
    Thanks @Nollie.  I'll keep an eye out for it here.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Another Gardeners' World plant ID - this one is from the sequence in the 2019 season, episode 15, where Rachel de Thame created some container plantings.

Would anyone know what the tree-looking shrub planted up below is? I love that elegant bright green foliage and it seems perfect for a container in sun. Thank you!