Forum home Fruit & veg

Summer raspberry growth

MuscratMuscrat Oxfordshire ChilternsPosts: 7
Hi all, just wondering, will the new canes that have been produced this year continue to grow next spring once out of dormancy?  Cheers

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 473
    Do you know which raspberry you have? Early fruiting ones flower on canes that grew but did not flower this year. Late season ones are cut to the ground in spring and fruit on the canes produced that year.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,511
    My experience with summer-fruiting raspberries (which I assume you have, from the title of your thread) is that the new canes produce a lot of side shoots once they start into growth in spring.  They may grow longer but it's the side shoots which produce most of the fruit.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • MuscratMuscrat Oxfordshire ChilternsPosts: 7
    Thanks for your replies, my raspberries are Glen Ample which as you rightly said are summer fruiting, they will be into their 3rd season in the spring and this year is the first time any substantial cane production has been achieved however the new canes are, in some cases spars and spindly and I was keen to find out how they would develop next season, your replies have now given me that insight which so helpful and appreciated.... Thanks.