Forum home Fruit & veg

Raspberries

I cut out this year's fruiting canes at the end of August. Since then, what should've been next year's fruiting canes, have produced a second crop, which is still going. How  do I prune these  canes to ensure that I  get some raspberries next year?

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,005
    It sounds like you may have autumn raspberries rather than summer ones. they fruit on first year canes, but if you leave the canes that have fruited in their first year they will give another smaller crop in the summer of their second year (and should then be cut down)

If they are indeed Autumn raspberries you can either prune the canes that are fruiting now down to the ground and you will get a big crop next autumn on next years new canes, or you can leave them and get a small summer crop from these canes that are fruiting now and a main crop from the new canes that will grow next year.
  • Thanks for that but they are definitely summer raspberries, this is the first time this has happened and we have had the canes for a few years. Do you think that  if I pruned the fruiting heads of the canes rather than cutting them out completely this time, would work? If I cut them out there will be very little left to provide fruit for next year
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,005
    It's certainly worth trying, it's not going to do the plants any harm either way.
  • Thanks for that. Such a weird growing season, our purple sprouting btoccoli, usually harvested in the spring is also producing.