Forum home Problem solving

Cuttings not rooting in water

I took some cuttings of salvias, dahlia, euonymus and aster around 4 weeks ago and only the dahlia is showing any sign of rooting (they're all in water as I've had no luck in vermiculite), what am I doing wrong? I dipped them in rooting hormone and change the water every 5-7 days. Even the dahlia only has very small white knobs which I'm not even sure are the beginnings of roots! Should I wait or pot them up anyway? Thanks!

• 4 weeks isn't very long - particularly at this time of year.

Have a look at the "Cuttings that root in water" thread and see if you can get some ideas of timing, when to do, etc.
  • Oh really! Thanks, didn't see there was a specific thread.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    There's sometimes no apparent reason why a cutting fails, but as long as they're green and healthy-looking, it's worth hanging on to them to see if they do anything. Eventually they'll either root or die. I've had some salvia bits in a jar of water for a month or so and they've not rooted yet either.

The general advice is that dahlia cuttings should be from new basal shoots in spring, and I think asters would be better propagated by division in spring (or "lazy division", dig out a section of the crown and replant, then fill the gap with a bit of soil or compost), so if your cuttings of those fail it would be worth having another go at propagating them in spring.

• mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 133
    4 weeks isn't very long - particularly at this time of year.

Have a look at the "Cuttings that root in water" thread and see if you can get some ideas of timing, when to do, etc.
    I can't find that thread: "Cuttings that root in water". Any chance you can post a link?
  • 🐾 East Midlands 🐾
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 624
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Snap 🐝 
    🐾 East Midlands 🐾
  • @mandyroberts99..........apologies for the misleading title - you've found it now I think :)
  • mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 133
    @mandyroberts99..........apologies for the misleading title - you've found it now I think :)
    No problem - its a really useful thread!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,402
    For salvias, I would put the cuttings into a small pot of light earth. It should be fine. Take eight cuttings and you are pretty sure to get a few successes - even more so in May.