Forum home Plants

Chocolate cosmos

BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
edited November 2020 in Plants
I'm wondering if I can overwinter a cosmos plant I bought in the spring. I'm sure it won't survive outside here so I've potted it up and put it in the mini green house.

When I dig it up I didn't see a tuber as I expected so I'm not sure if this is an annual. Any thoughts? 

• I've had 2 attempts and failed both times. I now grow dahlia Mexican Star, with flowers similar to the cosmos, though it doesn't smell of chocolate. But then I couldn't smell the cosmos either... It flowered its socks off this year as long as I kept dead heading and is much easier to over winter. :)
  • The roots of chocolate cosmos are not as plump as a dahlia etc., so what you’ve found is quite normal. I don’t suppose your mini greenhouse is heated, but at least it will keep the cosmos dry. Mine overwintered in the borders last year. It starts growing quite late in the spring, so don’t give up on it too soon.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Thanks both. I might put it in the attic room by the window if it gets very cold. I agree with you Pitterpatter, I think the wet does the most damage and its a damp area here with clay soil. Fingers crossed it might make it. 
  • Janie BJanie B Posts: 955
    I've dug mine up and potted them. Am going to try to overwinter in the greenhouse, first time. Fingers crossed!

Lincolnshire