Forum home Fruit & veg

Which Apple tree to plant?

I'm looking to plant an Apple tree in the garden. It's about 7 to 8m away from the house, garden is west facing and this will in the sun most of the day. I'm looking at a M106 rootstock as I'm looking for this to establish into a feature tree eventually with a clear 6ft stem so that I can plant under it. Had difficulty with a dwarf Cox Orange Pippin a few years ago so want something relatively easy to grow with a decent crop which will store well..

I like a Cox, Ellison's Orange etc but for ease of growing was thinking about a Sunset variety? I personally dislike Golden delicious, granny smith or a red apple. Pink Lady, Jazz or Gala are fine but as they're supermarket apples I'm not really after one. 

I'm after an attractive tree as much as a good fruit. Am I asking too much?!

Some Apple trees don't seem to have a decent rounded habit.  Neighbours recently chopped down a really nice cooker which overhung our garden which was disappointing so I'm looking to re establish some height. 

With regards to cross pollination, there are a few apple trees in a few gardens about us but I couldnt say what variety they were. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,306
    One of the best apples I've tasted was from a home grown Egremont Russet.
    I bought a Hereford Russet a few years ago and hope for the 1st fruits next year.
    I used to have Greensleves which looked like a Golden Delicious, but tasted completed different - really perfumed and flavourful.
    I don't like GS GD and the like.
    Spartan looks amazing this time of year. My neighbour has one and the apples look like huge red baubles hanging on the almost bare branches. I'm not keen on the taste though - similar to GS

I'm not sure you'll get much to grow beneath the tree. The tree wont like competition and the ground will be very dry.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Our Katya fruits early and then the later Spartan. Both really great producers and the fruit keeps well.
    Need to check that you have the apple tree pollinating groups in the area.
  • Do any self pollinate? Neighbours aren't gardeners but do have 3 or 4 apple trees but never harvest them!
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,306
    Have a look at this list - it may give inspiration.
    https://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/fruit-trees/apple#child69

I've bought from Keepers before and the quality was outstanding.
    I too have a Katya (Katy) which was the only one in the garden at the time.
    But it was regularly laden with fruit - neighbours do have apple trees which helps.
    It's a nice apple and used in a pie just before it's properly ripe is special.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 92
    In January last year I purchased 2 grafted onto root trees, a Bleheim Orange and a Braeburn, I purchsed from Buckingham Garden Centre and they gave great advice on which can cross polinate, I later got a third but have forgotten which I think a Cox's. they have all grown and the Braeburn produced 3 huge apples. I have however had leaf curl and rusting which and I sprayed the usual mold and bug killers on, only yesterday did I inspect them and they are full of buds ready to shoot out in Spring.
  • I have a fiesta. Very tasty cox like apples which store well but also very disease resistent. I'm very satisfied with it.