Forum home Plants

Toona sinensis Flamingo

Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 1,085
Looking for a tree/shrub for a sheltered spot in the garden and i came across the above.
Anyone have any experience of it.
It would be going into a sheltered spot that receives full sun.
I live in Dundee if that is any help regarding weather conditions.
I tried searching the forum but couldn't find much info.
Sunny Dundee

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    It doesn't look particularly hardy  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 1,085
    I seen it was rated -10c but winters seem a lot warmer now.
    Might be borderline for here, bur maybe someone else grows them up North?
    It's a lovely looking tree.
    Sunny Dundee
    Temperature isn't always the only factor though. 
    Prolonged low temps and wet cold are always more of a problem, and it depends on the site as well. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,292
    If you're considering quite a big tree, it may be worth having a look at Koelreuteria paniculata - the Golden Rain Tree for something a bit different
    There's one down the road from me and it does look amazing with lovely flowers and interesting seed pods

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,010
    The RHS Site says it needs well-drained soil and a sheltered site so very much borderine in Dundee I would have thought. - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/98005/i-Toona-sinensis-i-Flamingo-(v)/Details

I have a small Koelreuteria grown from a seed from a tree in a friend's garden in Belgium and it is definitely hardy having survived winters down to -15C when just a bairn.   Great foliage colour too.  No flowers yet but it's only about 10 years old and has had to deal with drought since being planted here.   
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks for the replies.
    The  Koelreuteria paniculata is a lovely looking tree, but a bit too spreading for the site i want to use. On one side is a 25ft cherry tree with pinkish blossom, and a white climbing rose going up a conifer on the other. The colours of the 'Flamingo' would tie in lovely if it would survive.
    The site is on a slope, so it is well drained, and sheltered by an old stone wall about 7ft tall on one side, and the conifer on the other. It bakes in the summer, and the hose is out regularly.
    I think i'll take a chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    :) 
    Sunny Dundee
    Liquidambar?  Tends to grow taller than it is wide and has great foliage colour especially in autumn when they go fiery red - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/10334/Liquidambar-styraciflua/Details- 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I thought about the Liquidambar Silhouette, but have just ordered the 'Flamingo'. :)
    Sunny Dundee
    Great.  Hope you like it.
    You might get away with it if it's sheltered enough, but just because we've had no winters [or not what I would call winter] for the last couple of years, it doesn't mean it'll stay that way from now on. ;)
    Your part of the world is drier than this side, which helps. Good luck anyway.

Let us know how you get on with it  :)