Forum home Plants

agapanthus

Why would my agapanthus fail to  flower , as it flowered the previous year , planted in south facing border , feed and watered regularly .
Thanks 
Paul Whittaker 

• BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,691
    I would suggest two possibilities. First is that it has to be well watered and fed from August to October when next year’s buds are forming. It is easy to neglect watering duties once flowering is done.

The other possible problem is that it is too comfortable. Maybe the soil is too deep and too rich. A rather impoverished free draining soil forces the plant to put its energy into flowering in order to maintain its line. This is the same logic behind constraining agapanthus in pots.
    Rutland, England
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    I grow agapanthus in pots and in my heavy clay soil. They flower very well but I have noticed that this year they have been slightly stressed in the garden. We have had extreme drought and high temperatures and even though I water them, it can be really difficult to keep the soil well hydrated. I find they like lots of water and seem to enjoy the heavy soil. The potted ones did better because I could stand the pot in water and really soak them.
  • Thanks for the advice I think Bencotto has hit the nail firmly on the head with their advice ,  that it is too comfortable and Possibly  the soil is too deep and too rich. I have another type of agapanthus else where in the garden in a area where the soil is a lot poorer and very clayey which did flower ! Problem solved I think .
    Thanks to Bencotto and Posy for the excellent gardening advice 

Paul 
    Paul Whittaker