Forum home Wildlife gardening

Is this hedgehog poo?

LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,502
Hoping it is...   :)

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    Looks like it to me 🦔 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,502
     :D 
    Thanks Dove!  That's so exciting... now I need to find out if there's a way to feed the hedgehog without encouraging rodents - there are rats in the dry stone wall, 10ft from the poo...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,292
    Try something like this, out in the middle of the garden, and don't forget water too.😁
    Thanks for that, @purplerallim.  Have you got 2 hogs in there?  Lucky you!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,292
    That was last years youngsters.  This year there are two again, but this time they have set up home in the garden. They are of different ages, but appear to be in the same den. And yes I feel very lucky.🙂
     :) 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,347
    That's brilliant @Liriodendron. I hope you can find a solution for feeding them, although that might be tricky with the rats. They're probably finding enough to eat in your plot though.
    My hog house/feeding station is currently being used by the mice - they're eating the food as well, so I've had to hold back on it! I've got some lovely little videos of them though  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I wouldn't mind if the hedgehogs were sharing food with mice, but I draw the line at rats, @Fairygirl... I think the hog is doing some hoovering under the bird feeders though, which is fine by me.   :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,347
    Yes - I wouldn't fancy that either @Liriodendron.
    The little mice here are extremely well fed, and one was even out in the birdcage feeder the other day when I was planting a clematis underneath. Not bothered by my presence at all  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,153
    If you put out mealworms for the birds @Liriodendron, best to sweep any up before dusk. Hedgehogs love them but they are extremely bad for them. 🦔