Forum home The potting shed

Will you be having a Christmas Tree this year??

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,863
    Yes, of course!
    Last year we drove into central Vendée to pick up a tulip tree sapling and fetch a fresh Xmas tree while we were on.  This was 23/11 so far too early but we stuck the Xmas tree in water and had the best, non droopy tree ever.   

It seems they're all cut in November then wrapped and stacked for shipping to the various outlets which is why even a Nordmann gets droopy but Boxing Day.   We were planning an outing on December 2nd at the end of this lockdown but that has been extended indefinitely and there isn't a slot on the "attestation" for driving miles to fetch a tree and it won't count as groceries or edible plants for the veggie plot.

It seems the French government is due to make an announcement in how and where to get Xmas trees.   We'll see.  Might end up having to some lateral thinking if I can't get a decent tree.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    Yes, of course!
    That's the best way @Obelixx - always cut a bit off the bottom, regardless of when you buy it,  and leave outside in a bucket of water until you want it inside. They're perfectly happy for a couple of weeks at least. 
    I've always done it that way, and never have a problem with keeping a tree green  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes, of course!
    I know @Fairygirl but they seem to put them on sale here very late so they've been getting thirsty in the intervening period which is why we went directly to a grower last year, and early.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Yes, of course!
    We get such a regular supply here that they're never sitting too long @Obelixx . Early December is fine for a good tree.
    The local GC here is very good, as opposed to DIY outlets etc of course, which are a totally different thing altogether.  ;)

Yes, of course!
    Never a problem in Belgium but here the shops get them late for some reason.  One year we ordered one thru the local primary school to help with their fund raising but they too were a late delivered lorry load and quite limp.  perked up after a few days in a bucket was limp again by NY day, despite being in an old laundry bucket filled with water.

We'll persevere tho.  Not going fake!
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,483
    Maybe/possibly/probably.
    In the Czech Republic, my home country, people usually buy a Christmas tree in mid-December and have it outside, if possible (garden, balcony) and only take it in and decorate on the 24th. 24th is perceived as Christmas Day, although Christmas Day is technically 25th because all celebrations and gift-giving happen on the 24th. 25th is usually for visiting family, 26th too. The traditional date to remove the tree is 6th January, the Three Kings Day. BTW Czechs are said to be the most atheist nation in the world.
  • TackTack Central South UKPosts: 340
    Here's our tree this year. It will be very fresh. Shame really as without guests this year we probably wouldn't bother. But it was bought in a pot 10 Christmases ago and eventually outgrew even a giant pot, so was planted and now is over 8ft and has to be cut to make way for a new flower bed. His name is Greg.
    Yes, of course!
    If I'm stuck - I can pinch the one from the tree stump along the road  :D

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,885
    Yes, of course!
    Tack, can you put some outdoor lights on it?

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,253
    Yes, of course!
    I've just started making wreath bases. I'm using dried wisteria vibes as they are very flexible.  I've been collecting festive bits and bobs through the year.  My best find was two lots of little bells 🔔  so they will tinkle away on people's doors. With tartan ribbons and red berries and foliage.  
    We always have a small Christmas, anyone that doesn't have anywhere to go can come here but its usually only a couple of guests,  me,  hubby and brother.  So without the guests it will just be the 3 of us if brother's not allowed to mothers.
     To be honest I'd love it if it was just the two of us as I've had my bro living here for nearly 2 years,  but I guess that's what you do for family.