Forum home The potting shed

Will you be having a Christmas Tree this year??

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,865
    Yes, of course!
    Singing with a mask?   Studies have shown that singing causes expiration of potential virus carrying aerosols to a much greater degree than just breathing or speaking.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,514
    Undecided.
    We probably won't have a tree... sometimes we do and sometimes we don't  ... if we do have one it'll be a real one ... but the likelihood is that we'll decorate the big fireplace with lights and greenery and the carved wood and painted tinplate figures, musical glass globes and other seasonal things we've collected over the years, and we'll have the candle bridge in the window. It always looks so festive and pretty and we like it that way.  We enjoy a quiet Christmas, reading, listening to music, eating some special treats and otherwise doing as we normally do ... spending time in the studio painting and making things.  If son can get here for the day he will, but otherwise it'll be just we two, and that's fine and dandy by us  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,088
    Undecided.
    Obelixx said:
    Singing with a mask?   Studies have shown that singing causes expiration of potential virus carrying aerosols to a much greater degree than just breathing or speaking.
    Actually more recent studies have suggested that it's the volume of speaking/singing that is most important and that singing is no worse than speaking at a similar volume. Before the current lockdown my choir was having socially-distanced, masked rehearsals in an open grain barn, which was a bizarre experience!
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 971
    edited November 2020
    Undecided.
    I imagine the accoustics were interesting  there @Singing Gardener . The only thing I know about singing rules here in Denmark is that the local church can have 86 people in it without singing and 43 with. all the churches have a half limit if you want to sing. since people are not exactly massive church goers and the population of my village is probably somewhere around 50... 43 is more than enough in the church!
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,088
    Undecided.
    @Skandi There's no congregational singing allowed in church here (no congregation atm either!). My husband sings with the local cathedral choir who are allowed to sing unmasked but socially distanced but the children aren't allowed to participate (as of yesterday when the rules were clarified).

Singing in a grain barn is definitely a summer only option....
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,827
    edited November 2020
    No. I don’t anyway.
    The Sheffield carols would normally have kicked off tonight (first Friday after Armistice Day), The Black Bull in my home village being the one to traditionally start them off.  

Then other pubs in other villages would join in from tomorrow and so on, until the last sing on New Year’s Day.

With two or three pubs each night, in different villages, that’s a lot of carol singing and a lot of travelling around.

Here is one from my village which you probably won’t have heard before.
    First known published copy dated 1827.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mHDSdpq3dBo

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,691
    Yes, of course!
    Yes, we will definitely be having a Christmas tree this year, but ours is  only a small, artificial one that looks quite real. We have some lovely little different coloured ball lights( that change colour) which really brighten up the room on the dark nights. It’s help makes us feel a little more cheerful, despite the events of the processing year and helps brighten up the dark nights. 👍🎄🎄
  • SueAtooSueAtoo DorsetPosts: 156
    Yes, of course!
    Ooh yes, the tallest one I can get in the living room with a beautiful angel with swirling draperies hanging over the top. Sometimes with lights and decorations collected over ** years, or last year was "snowballs", big soft fluffy balls. Greenery tied and wired up everywhere. Porch decorated and outside lights. It's so cheerful and all for just me (and anyone passing). So sad and so bare when it all has to come down on 12th night.

• Not having my usual tree up just a small one as we are getting a pup and I'm worried she will either pull it down or wee near it!! 
    Near where I live a garden centre is on the news as there were so many people going to buy their tree!the roads were blocked.what lockdown??
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,878
    Undecided.
    That’s interesting about the queues for the trees @the tidy gardener... seems early? Maybe people are deciding to max-out to make up for other things?? 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.