Forum home The potting shed

Will you be having a Christmas Tree this year??

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,138
    No. Not this year.
    So does mine 
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,520
    Long haired cats are even more efficient...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    Maybe/possibly/probably.
    We'll probably put the decorations up, but food will be scaled back if we aren't allowed visitors to stay (no-one is close enough to just come for a meal). OH will insist on a turkey but he likes the leftovers, so that's OK.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,834
    Maybe/possibly/probably.
    Not sure at the moment.  One day I say I will, the next I wont.  Usually go all out with decs but I'm not sure I can summon up the energy to get all the stuff out of the cellar.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 713
    No. Not this year.
    No, not this year but we will have a special meal and hopefully, if we are allowed, a walk along the beach in the afternoon.  Come home, light the fire and just chill!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,881
    Undecided.
    Enjoying this mini snap-shot of the population (some not U.K. too). 

I wonder if anyone will postpone the parties and gatherings until the summer, and we will see tinsel and Santa in June?? Perhaps people will just skip a year and hope next year is better*. 

*better could actually be a scaling-down and distilling of festivities?. Or is seeing family and friends the real cornerstone of celebrating Christmas?? 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Family & friends have always been part of our Christmas, but numbers now sadly depleted.
    Our most memorable Christmas is still the one when we had a power cut on Xmas morning and we had friends, who doubled as substitute grandparents for our daughter, staying. Turkey had been in the oven for a good while already, so we got out the barbecue to finish it off, all wrapped up warm and we had Christmas dinner round the barbie :)
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,055
    Yes, of course!
    My Italian teacher had a sharp idea. She says as this year has been so awful we should have the right on our next birthday not to add a year to our age if we so wish.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,881
    Undecided.
    My most memorable Christmas was the first year we were married, both working in the hospital with one of us on a run of day shifts, and one on nights. We didn’t see each other (or any other family) for 48 hours plus and I had a fishfinger sandwich for my Christmas Day meal. The camaraderie of working at Christmas is really special, and I would happily work it every year, but it’s better if you can come home to family after the shift. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,942
    Yes, of course!
    Our Christmas tree is a pre-lit snowy twig thing. It looks so pretty in the hall that I would hate to not have it. Also love dressing the huge mantle shelf above the log burner with lots of fresh greenery and fairy lights. That and a few candles is the sum total of our decorations but they give a nice cosy feeling to the house. I do it even if we're going to be away on the day. Only takes a (long) afternoon to set up.

We've had many Christmasses when it was just the 2 of us and a few when it was just me when OH was working away. I've never wanted to do big family celebrations. This year will definitely be a quieter one due to sad family events - but I still want my fairy lights and a box of turkish delight🙂
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down