Forum home The potting shed

Will you be having a Christmas Tree this year??

• Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,697
    edited November 2020
    Yes, of course!
    Definitely.🎅🎄🎄
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,538
    Yes, of course!
    It says much about the state of life this year that I still haven't put the decorations away in the loft from last year yet :#  They're put away in their storage crates but are still sat in my hallway. We have a fake tree and will be putting that up. The kids love the lights and things even if they still don't really understand Xmas yet. 
  • ChivetalkingChivetalking Leigh-on-Sea Posts: 976
    Yes, of course!
    Definitely yes, an artificial one that we bought 19 years ago when we had our baby boy. Now he has grown up with this tree, it is a big part of our little family and it wouldn’t be Christmas without it. 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 971
    Undecided.
    Maybe? We don't normally bother with one as I get more than enough Chrismas with his relatives as it is, but we sometimes do, it depends if I see a neighbour selling them (lots of people here have 1/2 acre or so of trees) so far this year Christmas is meant to be as normal, though right now we can't see any of his family as we live in the next county over and our 7 counties are asked not to travel between each-other, (I'm in the part of Denmark with the mink) However I am buying 10 trees this year for planting, so in 6 years we'll get a small tree and in 16 years there will be a monster in the house!
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 954
    Steady on - I've only just got rid of last year's tree :open_mouth:

Nicely trimmed and chopped into logs, delivered to a burner of wood 10 months later than promised.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    No. I don’t anyway.
    Bah, humbug!  We (OH, aged parent and I) don't do trees, lights or turkey (one of us is vegetarian, the others eat what's put in front of them). None of us drinks alcohol anyway. The only decorations are the cards which we hang around the sitting room as they arrive.  We neither visit nor invite. We don't do much in the way of presents, as we are old and already have everything we need and almost everything we want.

Mother and I are Christians and we go to church on Christmas morning.  OH isn't, and doesn't.  We will miss that this year.  We have been having virtual meetings on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings, so I expect there will be a virtual meeting on Christmas morning.  

We do have edible treats:  expensive chocolates and home-made puddings, such as banoffee pie and bread and butter pudding made of panettone with stem ginger and marzipan.  I'm sure we enjoy our peaceful, stress-free, cheap and cheerful Christmas as much as anyone.
  • Maybe...
    Usually get our big tree (the biggest we can get in the car) from the sales place in the forest nearby, but don't know if they are doing it this year.
    Also the space where we usually put it is currently filled, overflowed even, by my swiss cheese plant (aka The Monster!) which has had seven new, huge leaves this year and I don't know where I can move it to! Perhaps it will get a star and baubles :D
    I do know that three of us (daughter, her partner & I) will be eating and celebrating to our utmost. They will be drinking too, but, much as I would like to join in the fun, my alcohol consumption has been so low this year, that my tolerance is close to zero and I don't want to spend my time under the table!
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,126
    Sadly no, but not due to the pandemic.  A tree (and our precious glass decorations) would be a total toy-fest for our new puppy.  We might hang a few baubles on the wall, and a bit of tinsel out of reach, but that's it until she's a bit older.  

We will console ourselves with a few swigs of homemade Sloe Gin......
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,830
    No. I don’t anyway.
    No don’t go under the table, buttercup. A lot of dust down there, at least in this house.😁

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    No. I don’t anyway.
    pansyface said:
    No don’t go under the table, buttercup. A lot of dust down there, at least in this house.😁

My house needs a cat like that.