Forum home The potting shed

Will you be having a Christmas Tree this year??

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,875
    Yes, of course!
    For us it's all about lighting up the dark days @SlipperyElm and having a bit of fun and comfort.  Gave up on belief systems decades ago and don't go mad on presents either.   Sharing good food and wine are more important.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,055
    Yes, of course!
    Just the two of us but we’ll celebrate with verve. We’ve already got in a hamper of decadent goodies from Fortnums and have started to assemble some other treats from local shops. Over the past couple of days I wrapped all the Christmas presents and on Monday my wife will start to write the Christmas cards.

Decorations will be what we always have - in the sitting room an artificial tree but it is a Balsam Hill one so very realistic and a branch decorated with baubles over the fireplace. In the dining room there’ll be a garland on the beam and another on the dresser. Outside a few lights will adorn the front handrail and also the potted olive tree in the back garden. All lights will be soft white.

• Yes, of course!
    I think it's the 'sharing' aspect that might be the problem for a lot of people this year, @Obelixx.  If they're bothering about others enough to rein in their usual inclinations, that is.
    Have the best one you can, folks, tree or no tree.....but it would be nice to see one lit up in every window, even if there are fewer people inside.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,138
    No. Not this year.
    I always have a tree and lots of decorations and this year it was my children and grandchildren's turn to come here for Christmas. But, thanks to Covid, I am in France and OH is in England. I couldn't go to his cottage in England with him in September as I am selling my French house, completion due early January. France and England are both in lockdown, flights are cancelled, some until March. I've just read that France will be in a state of emergency until February. I may well be on my own for Christmas the first time ever  :'(
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Yes, of course!
    A tough time for many many people, the good old 'festive' season.  Just as it was, apparently, for the founder of it.  Bet he never had a home knitted sock with an orange and an old penny in the toe.  Could Mary knit, one wonders?
    Gold, frankincense and myrrh.  Bet a football would have been preferable.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,179
    Yes, of course!
    I must admit that earlier this year l would have replied "not sure", but now l've decided to go for it. There's only me and my husband, we have 2 trees, one in the lounge and a small one in the dining room. I said l'd just do the small one, but he said no. It's a tradition that we decorate the big one together and then l go mad on the small one. It has been a tough year for us for several reasons, and there will be times over Christmas when it will be even tougher. 
    This year more than ever we need some light in the darkness and the beauty of a Christmas tree will help 🎄
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,830
    No. I don’t anyway.
    Slippery Elm, it’s hard to believe but there’s an ancient carol about Jesus and football.😁

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8dcjpNsyrrI

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Yes, of course!
    @pansyface, that is magical!  Love it.

Is there one about him getting a penny in his sock as well?  Oh, please say 'Yes' 😁
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,830
    No. I don’t anyway.
    Mmm, not heard of one, but maybe I could take a leaf out of Mr Farage’s book.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Yes, of course!
    Very much doubt Farage owns a book, let alone has the intelligence to read one, @pansyface.

But back to the Christmas trees - fairylike angel, Bethlehem star, or one of those odd Russian style St. Basil's Cathedral type things - on top?