Forum home Fruit & veg

Fan trained fig

This may be a daft question, but is it possible to fan train a fig (Brown Turkey) that was just bought as a potted fig bush (i.e. it hasn't been specifically grown or previously pruned/trained to fan).  It came in a 2 or 3 litre pot and has only been planted this year so it's still small (it only has three or four branches about a foot high), but I'd like to fan it against a sunny wall.  If it's possible to do this, could anyone recommend a website that takes you through how to prune the fig (and when) - a step by step idiot's guide really so I can give this a go.  

In addition, does anyone know when I could expect the fig to bear fruit?

And finally, I've read that figs will bear more fruit when their roots are restricted.  The fig will have a wall on one side and a concrete path about two or three feet to the front.  Will it need restricting on both sides as well, and does anyone have advice on the best way of doing this?  I don't want to grow it in a container. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

• Digging a hole around 2/3 ft square and lining it on all 4 sides with paving slabs on edge is the way to go. Fig trees grow into very big trees eventually. Restricting root growth encourages them to fruit. At Heligan they grow some in large wooden crates on wheels which I assume means they can be moved around if needed. It also means a lot of watering and feeding to keep them going.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,919
    Your fig will bear fruits from the word go but whether or not they will ripen is another matter. It all depends on the weather. I was on track for a bumper harvest earlier in the year and then the weather turned chilly and damp and I am left with leafless trees covered in unripe, green baubles. Some people manage to get ripe figs year after year and if your tree is happy and warm, you might be one of the lucky ones. Enjoy your fig tree for its beauty and look upon ripe fruits as a marvellous bonus.