Forum home Fruit & veg

Physalis (cape gooseberry)

I have three physalis plants in my (cold) greenhouse . I have grown them from seed this year and had a small quantity of delicious fruits. They are still flowering which I appreciate won't fruit this year. I would like to keep them going to next year. What is the best thing to do now? Cut back, remove flowers and mive into house? They are growing strongly at the base of each plant.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    They are hardy here in Derbyshire, so you could just keep them in the cold greenhouse if you like.

They are absolutely horrendous spreaders so keep them in pots unless you want to be overrun by them next year.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I planted from seed in February. In fact I forgot that I just pushed one of the berries into some soil in a flower pot on the window sill. I was really surprised when I found The lanterns Growing on it. I moved it outside to the garden when we had that hot spell. I was amazed how much fruit we have had from it. It look very sad in the cold and rain so now out five foot tall bushy plant is back in doors. I’m not sure what to do with it now. Does it die down over the winter? The leaves are starting to go yellow and fall. The fruit is nearly finished now. Should I cut it back or leave it to do it’s own thing? I don’t mind sharing my lounge with it for a few months it that will keep it alive.