Forum home Garden design

Landscaping done, where to go now

My garden has finally been landscaped from a new build clay slope with ‘grass’ that would not drain making it a sloppy mess almost impossible to cut to a practically level garden with patio areas.

Whilst I like the simple plain look it currently has, I also want some plant ideas that I can pop onto the patio areas and on the drain cover along with any suggestions for how to make it wildlife friendly (bees, butterflied etc).

The top patio in the corner will have a table and chairs for dining on it and there will be a sofa and chairs for the bottom patio.

Ive just popped the shrub on the drain for now but as its been growing up against a wall its a little barren at the back. Not sure if I'm going to keep it where it is as I wanted to put it on the top patio but i cant walk on the grass yet as it was only laid yesterday.

Im also not a very competent gardener as most of my plants seem to die hence just the one decent one on displayI’ve somehow not managed to kill.

any thoughts and ideas welcome.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    That looks like a good job but you now need to leave the grass alone for a few weeks while the roots knit into the soil and are thus able to access the moisture and nutrients they need to stay healthy.

To attract wildlife you need food in the form of pollen, nectar and berries and that means flowers.  You also need shelter and that means shrubs and/or trees.  You could start by adding bird feeders with a mix of seeds, fat balls (no nets) and fat blocks with insects.

I would not want to sit on either of those terraces and look at bare walls and fences so I would be planning to dig a decent border along that back fence, work in plenty of well-rotted manure and garden compost and then I'd be planting a mix of climbers to cover the fence with foliage, flower and perfume plus some shrubs, perennials and bulbs to create interest thru the seasons and then some annuals for filling in the gaps while everything else establishes.

The choice of plants will depend on the nature of your soil - acid/neutral/alkaline - and whereabouts you are as that will dictate rainfall and temperatures plus which way that fence faces as that dictates how much sun and shade it gets.  The same goes for any other beds you may create in time.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I have no plans or need to walk on the grass for the rest of the year other than to put my sprinkler on it every evening to ensure it gets a good watering so it should take very well with a bit of luck.

In in the spring I’m going to treat my fence to a nice stain to protect it and give it a bit of colour.

i was thinking about getting a couple of plants I could train along the fencing for the top patio area, maybe a wisteria as I know they train well on wires.

i will have a word with the other half but I reckon he will be against digging up our new turf to put a flowerbed in, especially with my lack of being able to keep anything alive 😅
  • Forgot to say under my nice new foot of topsoil that was put down it’s solid grey brown clay and I’m midlands based if that makes any difference to the clay type
  • I’d be happy to dig some small parts of the turf up in order to plant some climbers n as I could then re-turf around them or just have a couple of small cut out areas in order to grow some climbers, but the other half wouldn’t want me digging giant borders 😁

I know roses are great for clay and I did think about them but aren’t they hard to grow and keep on top of? I’m a total novice here as you can see
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 537
    edited November 2020
    I wouldn't stand looking at that inclined fence panel having gin taken :smile: .

Looks like a very tidy job.

Perhaps some formal topiary or formal fruit trees, plus one or two informal elements to add a tickle on the eye, like the obligatory mistake in the Persian carpet because only God is perfect.
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 368
    I wouldn't stand looking at that inclined fence panel having gin taken :smile: .
    😂i thought that too @Ferdinand2000!
  • Yeah the fence isn’t ideal but it goes with the gradient of the land. I will level them myself in the summer as im fairly sure i can do that myself.

The whole garden was a mess but the house was perfect for us so we had to suffer a new build garden. At least my phase got a gate to go with the sloping fences. The new phase on the estate charges for gates to be installed and if you decline they just leave a gate sized space in the fence! 
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 537
    edited November 2020
     At least my phase got a gate to go with the sloping fences. The new phase on the estate charges for gates to be installed and if you decline they just leave a gate sized space in the fence! 
    LOL. Developers.

:D 

Though I guess it does allow for you to choose your own gate.

Yeah the fence isn’t ideal but it goes with the gradient of the land. I will level them myself in the summer as im fairly sure i can do that myself.

You may get only need eg a dug slot and a gravel board or two. Hope they haven't cut the corners off the fence panel to make it fit.

“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • Nice neat job .
  • wow love the new look! yes painting the fencing a nice colour will be great , I would get some more pots and add not on the lawn but on the paving near the lawn, a nice Japanese maple in a big pot would look stunning