Forum home Fruit & veg

Rhubarb propagation

BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,039
I've attempted to divide my ancient rhubarb plant this afternoon - it felt like I was murdering it :o 

Although, is there anything more satisfying than the sound and sensation of your spade slicing right through? :)

I've got 6 pieces out of it. However, a big chunk of root fell off one of them so that might be a gonner! Planted in 4 different locations as I'm anxious that something survives.

I didn't do any overnight soaking, as some sources advise, because virtually everywhere in my back garden is soaked at the moment ;) Fingers crossed that the theory of indestructibility proves correct.

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,039
    My money is on that pink cat @philippasmith2 ;)
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 584
    Fear not, Sir.  In my experience rhubarb is similar in resilliance to horseradish.  Every last piece will take and appear next year, but you'll need to wait a couple of years, of course, before you think of cropping.
    Of course, @nick615
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,005
    You'll probably find the old plant tries to make a comeback as well. we moved some rhubarb that had been buried under 4ft of sand, grown up through it, been harvested and then abandoned. it transplanted ok despite being very mangled. and then the idiots harvested it again that year, it still survived, but 3 years of being in an unweeded field on top of that has pretty much killed it.
    Would any new growth after 6 days be likely 'stored energy' or has it already taken?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    Stored energy ... lifted crowns laid on the ground over winter to be chilled then forced will start into growth in mild spells without being planted.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thought as much d-fab but you can't knock my optimism ;)