Forum home Fruit & veg

Fallen leaves in raised bed

Hello, I am making a new raised bed for espalier apple tree and some raspberries and it is quite deep about 20 inches.
would it be ok to put a few inches of fallen leaves into it before I put in the compost and top soil?
thanks

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I can't see it doing any harm, but the weight of soil on top will condense them to a much thinner layer.  I think they would be more beneficial spread on top where the worms can pull them down and incorporate them into the soil.   
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,556
    Mow they up with your lawn mower first.  Put in whole and compressed they may take years to compost.  The people we rented from had a metal sided long rectangular leaf box where they dumped their raked leaves every fall.  They encouraged me to dig out as much as I wanted when I started a garden at that house.  Some layers had rotted, but most was a solid lump of compressed leaves.  Found a number of worms in there.. but it was too solid for many.  

I think if you mow them up, mix them around with a few shovels or compost or fork them into the bottom soil.. they will be gone by spring.  And your soil will be better for it.  
    Utah, USA.